Stand Up for Health: Health and Wellness Services for Your Community
This course is offered as either an online over 4 weeks OR in-person with 8 hours of lecture and group learning and pre-class and post-class assignments. It is designed to provide public library staff with the foundation (or a refresher) of health and wellness reference, programming, and outreach for their communities.
Week 1: Introduction to Consumer Health
Week 2: Health Reference
Week 3 Health Resources
Week 4 Health and Wellness Programming and Outreach
This class is intended to be completed as a cohort that involves discussion with your fellow students. There are no set hours to be online each week, but it is important that you complete the discussion and assignment for each week in a timely fashion. New content will be released each Monday.
As part of our ongoing partnership with the Public Library Association and supplement funding from NNLM the Greater Midwest Region (GMR) has developed a course on health information services for public library staff. To develop this course we partnered with WebJunction and the College of Education at the University of Iowa to incorporate feedback from participants and best practices for online learning.
This class was designed specifically for public library staff. If you work in another type of library you may not be able to complete all the assignments required for CE credit. Please consider Health and Wellness @ the Library: The Essentials of Providing Consumer Health Services
- Understand the importance of health literacy and the differing needs of a diverse community
- Increased confidence in providing English/Spanish health reference, as well as selecting authoritative health information appropriate for diverse users.
- Increased ability to evaluate the quality of health information in a variety of formats, and apply criteria for collection development of consumer health materials.
- Increased confidence in teaching users how to recognize the elements of trustworthy materials and the warning signs of dubious health information
- Increased ability to plan health-related programming and events that will appeal to your community.
There are no archived recordings of this class