MedlinePlus: An In-Depth Look
As the name implies, this class is a comprehensive, in-depth training session about MedlinePlus. This course provides librarians and staff with knowledge and skills to unlock the power of MedlinePlus. Starting with the basics, the class will explore all of the content areas in MedlinePlus. Attendees will gain insight into how the design helps users navigate, find and discover the right information on any device. Basic and advanced search techniques will be demonstrated throughout, followed by hands-on exercises to reinforce the concepts. MedlinePlus is always evolving, and even experienced librarians are pleased to find the hidden gems and learn new techniques for expert search and retrieval. In addition, the course covers behind-the-scene essentials such as proper ways to use content and link to the site, evaluation and selection criteria, and how to communicate with the MedlnePlus team to report problems or make recommendations. While intended for librarians and library staff, a subset of the course content can be used for presenting to consumer audiences.
This hands-on course will include lively discussion, hands-on practice, and group activities for an interactive and valuable learning experience. This course goes far beyond the surface, providing attendees with deep knowledge of content and tools for providing excellent health information for consumers, patients, and caregivers.
After attending this class, participants will:
- be able to describe the content types in MedlinePlus,
- be able to perform expert searches,
- be able to navigate to parts of the site using numerous methods, as different users do,
- be able to choose the appropriate, relevant content in MedlinePlus for answering questions for specific needs or users,
- know the content within the Easy-to-Read and Multiple Languages sections and provide appropriate and relevant information to patrons,
- be able to perform a PubMed search from within MedlinePlus, and
- be able to create alert services for specific topics.
This course is currently under revision.
Kelli Ham, MLIS, Consumer Health Librarian, NN/LM Pacific Southwest Region
There are no archived recordings of this class
There are no upcoming classes