Are you curious as to why health communication and health literacy are connected?
Effective Health Communication and Health Literacy: Understanding the Connection
Are you curious as to why health communication and health literacy are connected? Do you want to be more effective in providing health information to consumers, patients, clients, library patrons or your community? This introductory class to health literacy and health communication will help you understand and raise your awareness of the complexity of these concepts. We will define health literacy today, identify various types of literacy, explore how communication and health literacy affects how a person manages and makes health care decisions. We will also discuss your role in raising health literacy awareness in your organization and offer ideas on how this can be achieved. NLM, government agencies and other recognized resources in health literacy will be provided.
This class is designed to be a 1 hour webinar to raise awareness of what health literacy is, how health communication is connected to health literacy and to provide resources to promote better understanding of health literacy.
- Define the meaning of health literacy and health communication
- Recognize that health literacy is a complex concept
- Recognize the impact communication and health literacy plays in one's healthcare management and decision making.
- Locate health literacy resources.
- Describe your role in raising health literacy awareness in your organization or institution.
- Upon successful completion of this class, each participant will receive 1 hour of continuing education credit awarded by the Medical Library Association.
- This course qualifies for Medical Library Association, Consumer Health Information Specialization Levels 1 and 2.
There are no upcoming classes