Substance Use Disorder Treatment in the Time of COVID
Primary care clinicians face many challenges when addressing the complex needs of patients with chronic pain, substance use disorders or both. Over the last 10 months, the SARS-CoVID-2 pandemic has both increased and changed the challenges that healthcare providers face.
Massachusetts Consultation Service for the Treatment of Addiction and Pain (MCSTAP) is a free service that helps doctors and other clinicians meet these challenges by increasing their capacity for, and comfort in, using evidence-based practices to screen, diagnose, treat and manage the care of these patients. MCSTAP provides on-demand physician consultation on safe prescribing and managing the care of patients with chronic pain and/or SUD. In May of 2020 MCSTAP was awarded a grant from New England Region of the NNLM that funds continuing education credits for physicians and nurse practitioners who attend MCSTAP virtual education case reviews.
Join us for a webinar to learn about the innovative services that MCSTAP provides. Christopher Shanahan MD MPH FACP will share his knowledge about why and experience about how MCSTAP was created.
You will learn about how SARS-CoVID-2 pandemic has changed SUD treatment and prescribing protocols. Currently, the SARS-CoVID-2 pandemic has presented serious and life-threatening challenges to both patients and to their clinicians.
After attending this webinar, participants will:
• Understand why and how MCSTAP provides benefits Massachusetts primary care practices by providing professional, evidence-based guidance.
• Understand how the NLM not-only funded but has partnered with MCSTAP to help promote work of MCSTAP via funding CME/CEUs for physicians and nurse practitioners attending monthly virtual MCSTAP educational case reviews.
• Understand how the SARS-CoVID-2 pandemic has both clarified MCSTAP program objectives as well as changed both the rationale for and protocols for SUD treatment that clinicians employ to address the complex needs of patients with chronic pain, substance use disorders or both.
• Understand the role of pain management medication and strategies that employ non-opioid medications and non-medication-based modalities as both a primary and adjuvant modality.
• Understand the concerns of clinicians regarding patient outcomes during the SARS-CoVID-2 pandemic.
For information about eligibility for nursing continuing education credits for attending this webinar https://www.mlanet.org/p/cm/ld/fid=1703
Jan 28, 2021
2:00PM - 3:00PM ET
COVID-19 has presented uncertainty and unique challenges in how to maintain sobriety and mental health wellness. Join us for a webinar about topics related to the prevention and treatment of substance use disorder and mental health during this uncertain time.
The format of this webinar will be a joint-presentation from a several professionals in the healthcare and peer-recovery community. The presenter(s) will share their professional knowledge and experience gained from being on the front lines of addiction prevention and treatment. They will also share valuable resources and strategies to help individuals with substance use disorder, as well as those who provide care and support for individuals with substance use disorder.