Keeping up with PubMed- On Demand Online
With a hands-on approach, this class will show attendees how to use the features of PubMed effectively. Attendees will be able to describe the contents of PubMed; formulate basic search strategies; display, print, and save results in various formats; revise and refine searches; and use special features such as Related Articles, Link to journals, Citation Matcher, and Clinical Queries. The instructor will demonstrate online searches and students, at computers connected to the Internet, will be invited to follow along. Time for individual practice will be provided.
Participants will be able to:
- Understand how PubMed constructs a query.
- Develop and refine search strategies using components of PubMed's Features Bar.
- Use Links (including LinkOut) to move to internal and external resources.
- Build controlled vocabulary searches using PubMed's MeSH browser.
- Use the MyNCBI feature to personalize PubMed and store searches.
- Use the other tools on PubMed's Sidebar, including the Journals Database, Single Citation Matcher and Clinical Queries.
Terri Ottosen, MLIS, AHIP - Former NNLM SEA Consumer Health Coordinator