Improving the Health, Safety, and Well-being of LGBT Populations
Join us for a 2019 update on health resources for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender populations. New to this course: resources for emergency preparedness and response.
Confirmation emails have been sent to all registrants with login information. Check your spam/junk folder if you have registered but have not received the confirmation email!
Mar 26, 2019
1:00PM - 2:00PM CT
LGBTQ+ individuals face many barriers in accessing healthcare, including discrimination, lack of access, misunderstanding, and fear. As a consequence, many LGBTQ+ individuals do not regularly access appropriate and timely care. The more informed healthcare professionals are, LGBTQ+ patients and clients will become more comfortable in an environment that is often alienating, disrespectful, and traumatic. This class will discuss cultural competency, health information needs, and information resources for working with LGBTQ+ patrons.
- Participants will develop a better understanding of the health information needs of the LGBTQ+ community
- Participants will examine the benefits of LGBTQ+-focused cultural competency for the health care team
- Participants will be able to identify electronic, print, and other resources for building quality LGBTQ+ collections and reference materials
- Participants will gain ideas for outreach strategies to the LGBTQ+ community and identify inter-professional opportunities for librarians
- Resources and References (Updated 22 Mar 2019)
This class also satisfies the requirements for Level I CHIS (Consumer Health Information Specialization). MLA CE for viewing the recordings is available for 6 months after the webinar date.