How PubMed Works: ATM
Attend this webinar to learn how PubMed uses Automatic Term Mapping (ATM) to map your keyword searches to the controlled vocabulary of the MeSH database. Learn how ATM lets you search PubMed effectively with keywords. We will also look at the automatic explosion feature, what is and isn't included in Search Details. We'll explore ways to search by author name and how to search for phrases in PubMed. Come ready to do some exercises.
Jun 25, 2020
2:00PM - 3:30PM ET
How PubMed Works is a series of four 90-minute classes presented via WebEx. The individual classes are:
- How PubMed Works: Introduction
- How PubMed Works: Selection
- How PubMed Works: MeSH (Medical Subject Headings)
- How PubMed Works: ATM (Automatic Term Mapping)
Register for each class separately.
Each class is eligible for 1.5 MLA CE credits.
All Session Objectives
How PubMed Works: Introduction
- Understand what PubMed is and what's in it.
- Find the original research that is the basis for a news article.
- Find articles by a specific author.
- Search for articles on a specific subject.
- Narrow search results to a more specific subset
- Explore Advanced Search Builder and Search History.
How PubMed Works: Selection
- Describe some issues and concerns surrounding the current publishing landscape.
- Articulate NLM responsibilities and practices in collecting and providing access to the biomedical literature.
- Explain what is referenced in the PubMed database.
- Describe the selection criteria for the different components of the PubMed database.
- Find additional resources for authors and librarians on assessing publication quality.
How PubMed Works: MeSH (Medical Subject Headings)
- Explore the MeSH Database
- Describe a Controlled Vocabulary
- Explore the four types of MeSH Terms
- Locate and explain entry terms, date introduced, previous indexing, automatic explosion
How PubMed Works: ATM (Automatic Term Mapping)
- Describe the contents of the 3 Translation Tables.
- Explain the order of ATM
- Analyze Search Details to verify term mapping.
- Locate PubMed's list of indexed phrases
- Describe 3 Ways to bypass ATM