Food for Thought (June 11-July 9): Exploring Nutrition Information Resources
Join us for a 4 week, self-paced, online course on nutrition information resources available through reliable resources such as the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the National Library of Medicine (NLM).
This course contains two one-hour presentations, the first will cover introductory topics:
- Glossaries for defining nutrition terms
- Food and nutrition resources in MedlinePlus
- USDA (ChooseMyPlate, FoodSafety.gov, Nutrition.gov, dietary guidelines, games and activities for the K-12 population, and more)
- FDA (nutrition facts labels, Drugs at FDA, dietary supplements, food labeling guidance, food science curriculum resources, FDA case studies, and more)
- CDC (healthy living resources, food environments, food safety, nutrition data & statistics, and more!)
The second webinar will cover more advanced topics:
- Strategies for searching PubMed for nutrition topics
- Introduction to pre-formulated search strategies on nutrition topics
- Nutrition Evidence Library, a collection of systematic reviews on nutrition topics
- Strategies for searching PubAg for nutrition topics
Students will complete two exercises using resources presented in the course and have access to additional learning content, such as videos, quizzes and a useful online resource guide. Each of the two presentations will be recorded and offered within the learning management software to allow students to take the course at a time that best suits their schedule.
Audience: health professionals, public librarians, K-12 educators, health sciences librarians, members of the public
Jun 11, 2019 to Jul 9, 2019
This class is designed to assist librarians, public health workers, health professionals, and the general public in locating authoritative information on nutrition and topics relating to nutrition. Background information on the importance of nutrition information to other health-related topics will be included, and resources for locating nutrition-related statistics and evidence-based practice will also be identified.
At the conclusion of the class, participants will be able to:
- Identify 3 reliable resources for locating online and print nutrition information.
- Practice searching for definitions of basic nutrition vocabulary and relevant terms.
- Create a plan for implementing three resources into real-life scenarios.