The Elephant in the Room: Helping Your Community Navigate the Financial Aspects of Healthcare
Financial health literacy occurs at the intersection of managing personal finances and health literacy. In this hour-long webinar we’ll explore the four components of financial health literacy and how librarians can support education and awareness to empower health consumers as they navigate complex issues of terminology, insurance, unexpected costs and financial barriers to healthcare. Better understanding the financial aspects of healthcare provides one key to unlocking health equity and wellness.
Heidi Beke-Harrigan, MLS, CPL is the Member Services Librarian at OhioNET, where she coordinates, promotes and co-develops continuing education opportunities and member services that support librarians in their work. From teaching systematic reviews to working with nursing students and faculty, the health sciences have always been an integral part of her library journey. Her current research interests focus on consumer health and healthcare equity. In addition to completing the MLA Consumer Health Information Specialization and a certificate in medical writing and editing, Heidi is an RYT-200 yoga teacher specializing in yoga nidra. She co-facilitates the Day of Mindful Living (1), a program at River’s Edge in Cleveland that introduces law enforcement to mindfulness practices. When not in libraries she hikes in Ireland and dreams of her own Mary Reynolds inspired wild space.
Feb 21, 2019
2:00PM - 3:00PM CT
The Kernel of Knowledge is an expert-speaker webinar series from the Greater Midwest Region which provides one-hour sessions on topics of interest to Network of the National Library of Medicine (NNLM) members throughout the year. Sessions are scheduled on an ongoing basis, check back often for upcoming presentations! All Kernel of Knowledge sessions are eligible for 1.0 contact hour of Medical Library Association continuing education credit.
To register for classes or special events, first you must create an NNLM user account.
How to register for an NNLM class or event:
- After you have successfully created an account, come back to nnlm.gov.
- Click the green “Log in” button - it is located at the bottom of every page on our website.
- Enter your username and password, and “Log in”.
- On the class or event page, click the green “Save Registration” button.
That’s it! You are now registered for this event.
For visual learners, NNLM offers a brief video tutorial(link is external) on creating an NNLM user account.
Thank you for taking the time to create an account with us! You may be asking yourself, why do I need an account for this one-time event?
- The Network of the National Library of Medicine is committed to protecting the privacy of its users. To that end, we ask that all registrants create an account so that we may collect your data securely. In addition, creating a user account offers the benefit of one-click registration for future classes and events!
- If your organization is an NNLM Member, you can also use your account to easily update your Organization’s information in our Members directory!
Not a Member? Take a moment to consider submitting an application. Member benefits include:
- Eligibility for funding
- Free training opportunities
- Access to free educational and print materials
- Opportunities for partnership