Building Your Research Data Management Toolkit: Integrating RDM into Your Liaison Work
Monday, April 10, 2017
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM PT
The Inland Northwest Health Science Libraries group, in collaboration with libraries at Washington State University, Eastern Washington University, Gonzaga University and area hospitals is bringing the Association of College and Research Libraries workshop, "Building Your Research Data Management Toolkit" to Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA.
8:00-8:30 Check-in, Registration
8:30-9:00 Welcome & Introduction
9:00-9:45 An Overview of Research Data Management
10:00-11:15 Applying Liaison Skills to RDM
11:15-12:30 Learning to Serve Your Discipline's Data Needs
1:30-3:00 Planning for Data Management
3:15-4:30 Developing Campus Partners and Collaborations
4:30-5:00 Tying It All Together
Kristin Briney, PhD, MLIS, Data Services Librarian, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Kristin teaches data management skills, advises researchers on data management plans, and leads the library's effort to better preserve its digital assets. Kristin is a former chemistry researcher and shares her practical data expertise via her blog and in her book, "Data Management for Researchers." She has also taught a 12-week continuing education course on data management for librarians. Outside of UW-Milwaukee, Kristin is the founding co-organizer of the Midwest Data Librarians Symposium and does research on institutional data policy.
Laura Palumbo, MLIS, PE, Chemistry & Physics Librarian and Science Data Specialist, Rutgers University Libraries
Laura liaises with departments in the physical sciences, and coordinates efforts, identifies opportunities, and develops services for the access and preservation of data for the Rutgers New Brunswick scientific research community. She conducts workshops with campus partners on various aspects of research data sharing and reuse, bringing together faculty and students from departments across the New Brunswick campuses. Her research focus is engagement with science communities and research data services in academic libraries. She is active in several professional organizations, and serves as the Assistant Editor of Practical Academic Librarianship.
Room 314 of the Hemmingson Center which is located on the Gonzaga University campus, 702 E. Desmet Avenue, Spokane, WA
- Red Lion River Inn: Right on the edge of the Gonzaga campus, with easy walking access to Riverfront Park and downtown as well. Nice bar and restaurant with outdoor seating right on the river (depending on April weather) https://www.redlion.com/river-inn-spokane
- Red Lion Inn at the Park: Also near campus and nestled right on the edge of Riverfront Park and downtown https://www.redlion.com/park-spokane
- Davenport Grand Hotel: Near the Convention Center and downtown, 20 minute walk to Gonzaga http://www.davenporthotelcollection.com/our-hotels/the-davenport-grand/
- Public Transportation: http://www.downtownspokane.org/public-transportation
- Car rentals: http://www.visitspokane.com/trip-planning/car-rentals/
- Uber: https://www.uber.com/cities/spokane/
Register by March 31 at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/acrl-building-your-research-data-management... so that presenters can contact you in advance of the workshop.
Cost: Registration fee of $25 includes light breakfast, lunch, beverages throughout the day, and the opportunity to visit with your colleagues from throughout the region.
The event is generously supported by a Health Science Library Partnership Award from the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Northwest Region.
Apr 10, 2017
8:00AM - 5:00PM PT