Beyond an Apple a Day: Providing Consumer Health Information at Your Library
This session has been archived. The recording is available below.
To Join the Meeting
1. Go to https://nih.webex.com.
2. Enter the session number: 628 879 876 and password: apple
3. Please provide your name and email address.
4. You may have to download and install a web add-on or run a temporary application depending on the browser you use.
5. Select your audio connection preference:
*Call using computer - Adjust settings and test the connection
*Call from WebEx - Enter your phone number and press 1 when prompted
*Call in - Call: 1-650-479-3208 (US/Canada Toll number)
Enter access code: 628 879 876 #
Enter the Attendee ID on your screen and press #
6. If you are using a mobile device, your access code is: apple
For live captioning: http://livewrite-ncc.appspot.com/attend?event=citwebex
For any technical issues, please call 817-735-2223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
No registration is required for this class.
Aug 16, 2017
12:00PM - 2:00PM CT
This hands-on class will cover the health information seeking behavior of consumers and the role of the librarian in the provision of health information for the public. Come learn about the evolution of consumer health, health literacy and the e-patient. Participants will be equipped with knowledge of top consumer health sites, e-patient resources and collection development core lists. We will discuss creative ideas for health information outreach. The class will wrap up with an opportunity to explore effective marketing approaches and develop an elevator speech.
This class teaches you the basics of providing consumer health information at your library. We will cover:
- History and evolution of consumer health
- Challenges of providing consumer health information at your library
- Planning a consumer health service
- Collection development
- Consumer health on the internet
- The reference interview
- Project development / marketing