Author David Sheff - A Myth Shattering Look at Addiction, Prevention and Treatment, Based on Research
David Sheff is the author of Beautiful Boy: A Father’s Journey Through His Son’s Addiction, a number one New York Times bestseller in 2008 and a 2018 Amazon Studios movie. David Sheff also wrote CLEAN in 2013 in which he examines the research on the treatment and prevention of addiction with an underlying theme that addiction is a public health problem and disease. Sheff, writes that America’s “stigmatization of drug users” has backfired, hindering progress in curbing addiction.
David will share his research and personal experience about the importance of recognizing that addiction is a chronic brain disease that affects the whole family. “We know what to do when a person is sick with any other problem.” He will discuss how co-existing psychiatric disorders such as anxiety or depression can be underlying conditions and must be considered when deciding how to treat addiction. The stigma and shame attached to addiction is hindering our recovery from this public health issue. What can we learn from the past about other public health epidemics about getting rid of the stigma to make way for effective prevention and treatment?
The NLM Resources related to substance use disorder that are highlighted during the webinar are MedlinePlus, Opiate Addiction and Treatment Portal, and the Graphic Medicine Book Club. Also, an extensive substance use disorder resource list that includes materials from NLM and partner organizations will also be made available with the recording link and webinar slides.
• Learn about the brain science of addiction and how drug use before the brain is fully developed can affect the chances of drug addiction.
• Learn that addiction is not a choice, it is a complex and chronic illness.
• Understand that treatment is often more than a one-step process and effective treatment may need to include a dual diagnosis with a mental health condition.
• Learn about effective strategies families can use to lessen the chances their children will become addicted.
• Learn what we can do together legislatively to address prevention and access to treatment.
Oct 9, 2019
3:00PM - 4:00PM ET
The NNLM NER is pleased to offer an opportunity for you to get to know a few well-known media influencers working in the field of substance use disorder. Each presenter is committed to increasing our knowledge and understanding of substance use disorder through their work. Join us for one or for the whole series of webinars in which you will learn about their work, hear their stories, and experience how they are addressing the stigma attached to the disease of addiction through education and the media.
Each webinar in the series has specific learning objectives.