NTO Data Science
Updated 29 Aug 2018
Health sciences librarians are invited to participate in a rigorous online biomedical and health research data management training course, sponsored by the National Library of Medicine (NLM) and the National Network of Libraries of Medicine Training Office (NTO). The course provides basic knowledge and skills for librarians interested in helping patrons manage their research data. Attending this course will improve your ability to initiate or extend research data management services at your institution. Familiarity with the research lifecycle is recommended but not required.
The major goal of this course is to provide an introduction to data issues and policies in support of developing and implementing or enhancing research data management training and services at your institution. This material is essential for decision-making and implementation of these programs, particularly instructional and reference services. The course topics include an overview of data management, choosing appropriate metadata descriptors or taxonomies for a dataset, addressing privacy and security issues with data, and creating data management plans.
The online asynchronous component of the program is 7 weeks from October 15 – December 14 with a week off for the Thanksgiving holiday. There will also be a week for catch-up. The format includes video lectures, readings, case studies, hands-on exercises, and peer discussions. There will be optional weekly office hours. Expect to spend up to 4-5 hours each week on coursework. Participants will complete a Final Project Plan/Proposal, demonstrating improved skills, knowledge, and ability to support data management services at their institution.
Participants who complete all modules, the Final Project Plan, and the course evaluation will receive MLA CE credit (exact number of hours to be determined). No partial CE credit is granted.
The instructor is Tisha Mentnech, MSLIS, Research Librarian from the Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library, University of Utah.
Who can apply?
- Applications are open to health science librarians in the United States.
- Applications from libraries currently looking to develop or enhance research data management training and services are encouraged.
- A letter of support is required. See application instructions below.
- Enrollment is limited to 40 participants.
What does it cost?
There is no charge for participating in the program.
- Application deadline: September 20, 2018
- Notifications begin: October 1, 2018
- Online Course: October 15 – December 14, 2018
- Name and Contact Information
- Current Role/Title
- Place of Employment
- Briefly describe your current experience or interest in research data management.
- Briefly describe the current status of research data management services at your library, including any barriers to implementation.
- This training will have been worthwhile for you and your institution if…
Please fill out the online Application Form, and upload a PDF of your current CV and your letter of institutional support. The letter of institutional support must be from your supervisor and address:
- time for participation in the online course;
- the library’s commitment to or plans for adding or enhancing research data management services.
If you are not currently employed, you may seek a letter from 1) a previous employer who can speak to your qualifications, accomplishments, and commitment OR 2) your Regional Medical Library.
Please submit your application via the online form by September 20, 2018:
Questions? Contact NTO at email@example.com.