Super Searcher: Enhancing Your Online Search Super Powers
This hands-on course focuses on the advanced search features of web search engines and online searching. Participants will use various online search engines, compare the features of each and broaden their knowledge of search strategies and online search techniques. This class focuses on search tips and techniques for online search engines. Search strategies for popular or propriety health science databases are not explored. Participants will develop search strategies that will increase the precision and scope of their online searching ability. Participants will engage in discussions, exercises and view short demonstrations as a part of the class. The class includes: discussions of web search engines, strategies for searching for online media including images, videos and books. The class concludes with examples of real-time searching and mobile search solutions. Class participants will gain new knowledge and experience with new search engines and search strategies. Knowledge gained in this class will broaden general search skills.
Participants will be able to:
- perform searches using the advanced features of various search engines to quickly identify useful websites and information resources;
- communicate the differences between various search engines and justify the choice of search engine for a given information need;
- locate archived and older versions of websites which may no longer be in use;
- search for various types of results including specific file and media types;
- identify new trends in online searching;
- demonstrate familiarity with web resources covered in the course.
- Power Point Presentation (8 mb, rev: Apr 10, 2012)
- Resource List (rev: Jan 31, 2012)
- Search Engine Shortcuts (rev: Jan 19, 2012)
- Class Exercises (rev: Jan 13, 2012)
This course has been approved for 4 hours of Medical Library Association (MLA) Continuing Education Units.
Middle Atlantic Region
Missy Harvey, Technology and Communication Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
South Central Region
Cheryl Rowan, Consumer Health Coordinator, email@example.com, 1(713)799-7880
Karen Vargas, Outreach and Evaluation Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1(713)799-7880
Southeastern Atlantic Region
Andrew Youngkin, Emerging Technologies Evaluation Coordinator, email@example.com
Emily Hurst, Technology Coordinator, NN/LM South Central Region
Bryan Vogh, former Technology Coordinator, NN/LM Greater Midwest Region