Patient Safety: You Can Make a Difference
These materials are geared for public library programs aimed at patients and families. Because they are based on the Patient Safety Resource Seminar, the class may be as simple or as in depth as is required by those attending. This PowerPoint presentation is about a half-hour long, depending on class participation and discussion. Additional time may be spent reviewing the included resources and additional resources available through the library presenting the program.
These will be updated regularly; please feel free to contact the author with suggestions and recommendations.
- Agenda (25 kb, rev: Feb 27, 2008)
- Patient Safety Web References and Resources list (397 kb, rev: Feb 28, 2012)
- Recommended Reading for Patients, Families and Patient Advocates (47 kb, rev: Feb 6, 2012)
- PowerPoint presentation (410 kb, rev: Jan 23, 2012)
(215 kb, rev:
Jan 15, 2010)
Includes agenda, script notes and presentation bibliography. Script notes are also included on the PowerPoint slides.
- OPTIONAL brochure:
Patient Safety: I am a Partner for Safe Care
(tri-fold brochure, 77 kb, rev: Feb 5, 2009)
- Gibson, Rosemary. Role of the patient in improving patient safety. WebM&M. 2007(Mar): Perspectives on Safety. http://webmm.ahrq.gov/perspective.aspx?perspectiveID=38
- Turnbull JE. Systems approach to error reduction in health care. Japan Med Assoc J. 2001(Sep); 44(9): 392-403. http://www.med.or.jp/english/pdf/jmaj/v44no09.pdf
- Hendler GY, Napp ML. Practice-based learning and improvement morning report makes outpatients safer. Focus Patient Safety. 2006;9(2):5-6. http://npsf.org/paf/npsfp/fo/pdf/Focus Volume 9 Issue 2-- final.pdf
- For a better understanding of how errors in hospitals are measured, read:
Thomas EJ, Peterson LP. Measuring Errors and Adverse Events in Health Care. J Gen Intern Med. 2003(Jan);18(1): 61-67. http://www.qualitycolloquium.com/documents/Measuring_Errors_and_Adverse_Events.pdf
- For an understanding of how the environment plays a role in patient safety, read:
Ulrich R, Zimring C. Role of the physical environment in the hospital of the 21st century: a once in a lifetime opportunity. Princeton, NJ: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation; 2004. http://www.rwjf.org/files/publications/other/RoleofthePhysicalEnvironment.pdf
Holly Ann Burt, MLIS, is the Outreach and Exhibits Coordinator at the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Greater Midwest Region.