Disaster Planning in the Library and Beyond
This course examines strategies to assist librarians with preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies. It builds on and serves as the second part to the MLA CE approved course: 10-Step Approach to Service Continuity Planning. Topics include disaster planning models; types of resources available for emergency planning and recovery; relationships with first responders, vendors, and other libraries; and issues related to salvage. Class activities provide the opportunity to discuss and continue of developing continuity of service plans and related processes.
Note: The content of course is identical to the second part of the four-hour course:
Emergency Preparedness for Libraries
- Develop a plan for continuation of library services in the event of an emergency or disaster
- Identify advocacy possibilities within both the organization and the community
- Know how to obtain help within their regions or nationwide for assistance in providing continuity of services following an emergency or disaster
- Know where to obtain help and/or training in collection preservation where applicable
- Introduction and background, overview of class content
- Disaster Struck: Immediate Responses – group case study
- People and Personnel
- Knowing Your Library
- Preparing Beyond the Library
- We’re Back – Now what? Long term response
- Wrap-Up and Evaluation
- PowerPoint presentation to come (or simply adapt Emergency Preparedness for Libraries )
This class has been approved by the Medical Library Association for 2 contact hours of CE credit. MLA Course Listing.
Created by Holly Ann Burt, and Ruth Holst, National Network of Libraries of Medicine Greater Midwest Region.
Greater Midwest Region
Holly Ann Burt, Outreach and Exhibits Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1(312)996-2464
Middle Atlantic Region
Missy Harvey, Technology and Communication Coordinator, email@example.com
Dana Abbey, MLS, Colorado/Health Information Literacy Coordinator, National Network of Libraries of Medicine MidContinental Region (NN/LM MCR).