Chemicals, Drugs and Genetics Oh My!: Searching PubMed and Beyond
This specialized class will help improve your effectiveness in searching PubMed and related NLM and NIH databases for information on chemicals, drugs and genetics. The course beings with searching PubMed for drug information with MeSH terms, Supplementary Concept Records (SCR), and Pharmacologic Actions (PA). Additional topics include searching related databases for drug information (e.g. ClincalTrials.gov and TOXNET), searching with chemical nomenclature (e.g. ChemiIDplus, the Hazardous Substance Databank (HSDB), and PubChem Compound), and locating genetic literature and data (e.g. NCBI Gene and Genetics Home Reference (GHR)). This course assumes a strong working knowledge of PubMed including an understanding of automatic term mapping, the importance of reviewing the Details box after searches, and using the Advanced search page and the MeSH database.
By the end of this class, attendees will be able to:
- Understand the between MeSH terms, subheadings, Phamacologic Actions, and Supplementary Concept Records
- Experience and understand when to use specific National Library of Medicine databases to search for chemical, drug and genetic information and literature
- Identify related literature resources for additional learning
- Week 1: MeSH Drug Connections - MeSH, Phamacologic Actions, Supplementary Concept Records, Subheadings
- Week 2: Searching for Drug Information - TOXNET, ClinicalTrials.gov, evidence-based drug resources, labels databases
- Week 3: Chemical Complications - PubMed searching, TOXNET chemical databases, PubChem Compound, ChemIDplus
- Week 4: The World of Genetics - NCBI Gene database, Genetics Home Reference, Online Mendelian Inheritance of Man (OMIM)
- Handouts (100 kb, rev: Sep 3, 2013)
- This class has been approved by the Medical Library Association for 6 contact hours of CE credit.
- MLA Course Listing.
- This will be offered via the Moodle platform. Please contact instructor for upcoming courses.
Greater Midwest Region
Holly Ann Burt, Outreach and Exhibits Coordinator, email@example.com, 1(312)996-2464
Holly Ann Burt, MLIS, Outreach and Exhibits Coordinator at the National Network of Libraries of Medicine Greater Midwest Region (NN/LM GMR).