- “…by far the best educational experience I have had in my years of being a librarian.”
- “I don’t think I’ve ever had such a comprehensive professional development opportunity.”
- [I am] “confident going back to my institution and teaching these resources as well as starting an information service.”
- — Comments from recent class participants
Are you a health science librarian in the United States who offers (or wants to offer) bioinformatics services at your institution? The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) and the NLM Training Center will be offering “A Librarian’s Guide to NCBI” course in 2015-2016. Participants who complete the class will be eligible for Medical Library Association Continuing Education credits. The course is free, but travel, lodging and related costs are at the expense of the participant.
There are two parts to the course, and applicants must take both parts:
- Part 1: “Fundamentals in Bioinformatics and Searching” is a six-week, online (asynchronous) pre-course. Successful completion of this pre-course is required to continue to Part 2.
- Part 2: A five-day in-person course offered on-site at the National Library of Medicine in Bethesda, Maryland.
Previous graduates of the “Fundamentals in Bioinformatics and Searching” online course are encouraged to apply and may audit Part 1 in preparation for Part 2.
Interested in taking only the online version of the “Fundamentals in Bioinformatics and Searching” course? Watch for an upcoming second announcement of an offering in January – February, 2016.
Monday, August 10, 2015 – Application materials will be posted, linked from a detailed announcement here in the NLM Technical Bulletin.
Monday, September 14, 2015 – Application deadline.
Monday, October 5, 2015 – Acceptance notifications e-mailed.
Monday, October 26, 2015 – “Fundamentals in Bioinformatics and Searching” pre-course begins.
Monday, March 7, 2016 – “A Librarian’s Guide to NCBI” five-day in-person class begins at NLM.
Mark your calendars for this extraordinary training opportunity!