National Public Health Week - April 1-April 5, 2013
by Sheila Snow-Croft, Public Health Coordinator, NN/LM, SE/A Region
The first week of April is National Public Health Week (NPHW)! This annual event is organized by the American Public Health Association to recognize contributions and to spotlight issues important to the nation’s health. This year’s theme is “Public Health is ROI: Save Lives, Save Money,” developed “to highlight the value of prevention and the importance of well-supported public health systems in preventing disease, saving lives and curbing health care spending,” per their website, www.nphw.org. Books and resources, a planner’s guide and toolkit, media outreach materials, legislative information, downloadable logos and many other resources are available. For events across the country, see the calendar at http://www.nphw.org/events/calendar.
Each day of the week will focus on a different aspect of the overall theme:
- Monday, April 1 – Ensuring a Safe, Healthy Home for Your Family: Health and safety begin at home. Make prevention a fun family tradition.
- Tuesday, April 2 – Providing a Safe Environment for Children at School: Schools are the perfect setting for improving child health. Plus, children’s health is a rallying point few can ignore.
- Wednesday, April 3 – Creating a Healthy Workplace: Wellness and safety in the workplace are good for health and for business. Let’s make prevention work for us.
- Thursday, April 4 – Protecting You While You’re on the Move: Safety on the go is often in our own hands, but it’s also tied to community design. Together, we can turn our streets into roads to better health.
- Friday, April 5 – Empowering a Healthy Community: Support public health efforts that create healthy opportunities for all. Good health is a community affair.
Does your organization have something special planned for National Public Health Week? Send us information about your activities so we can recognize the great efforts in the Southeastern Atlantic Region. Email Sheila Snow-Croft at firstname.lastname@example.org.