Continuing Nursing Education
Due to unforeseen circumstances, CNE will be temporarily suspended starting May 12, 2014. Please contact the NN/LM SCR office for additional details.
General Information on CNE Courses
NN/LM SCR is accredited by the Texas Nurses Association (TNA) for the three individual activities listed below. TNA is accredited as an approver of continuing nursing education (CNE) by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. CNE accreditation by TNA is recognized by all U.S. states except California, Florida, and Iowa.
The accredited individual activities are:
Health Websites for Nurses - 1.0 contact hour
Health Websites for Your Patients - 1.0 contact hour
PubMed for Nurses - 1.0 contact hour
Network member librarians interested in becoming accredited instructors for CNE activities need to be approved as instructors prior to conducting the class. The requirements are:
- a minimum of 2 years professional experience as a health sciences librarian;
- a knowledge of the resources included in the activities;
- a background in providing training to health professionals.
To become an approved instructor, contact Karen Vargas, firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-338-7657 (AR, LA, NM, OK, TX).
Requirements for Conducting CNE Activities
1. Publicity materials must follow the instructions on the Publicity Requirements sheet. Sample flyers are provided:
- Publicity Requirements
- Health Websites for Nurses sample publicity flyer
- (Health Websites for Nurses sample publicity flyer )
- Health Websites for Your Patients sample publicity flyer
- (Health Websites for Your Patients sample publicity flyer )
- PubMed for Nurses sample publicity flyer
- (PubMed for Nurses sample publicity flyer )
2. Class materials and curriculum must be based on the objectives, class content and teaching/learning strategies for each class. Utilize the class information sheets to assist you.
- Health Websites for Nurses Class Information
- Health Websites for Your Patients Class Information
- PubMed for Nurses Class Information
3. Instructors must return a signed Activity Disclosure to Participants form to Karen Vargas. The required disclosure forms are provided:
- Health Websites for Nurses Disclosure to Participants
- Health Websites for Your Patients Disclosure to Participants
- PubMed for Nurses Disclosure to Participants
4. Instructors must collect a class roster that includes the following information: the attendee’s name, birth month and day (year is not needed), and if they are a RN.
5. All attendees must submit a completed evaluation form to the instructor to receive credit for the class. The required evaluation forms are provided:
- Health Websites for Nurses Evaluation form
- Health Websites for Your Patients Evaluation form
- PubMed for Nurses Evaluation form
6. Instructors must follow the instructions on the Certificate Requirements sheet in order for attendees to receive proof of attendance and credit for the activity. Sample certificates are provided:
- Certificate Requirements
- Health Websites for Nurses sample certificate
- Health Websites for Your Patients sample certificate
- PubMed for Nurses sample certificate
7. Instructors must submit copies of publicity materials, the class roster, Activity Disclosure to Participants form, and a compiled summary of the evaluations within one (1) month after the training has been completed.
Submit materials to:
Karen Vargas, Outreach and Evaluation Coordinator
National Network of Libraries of Medicine
South Central Region (NN/LM SCR)
Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center (HAM-TMC) Library
1133 John Freeman Blvd.
Houston, TX 77030-2809
Phone: 800-338-7657 (in AR, LA, NM, OK, TX only)