2012 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures Report
The Alzheimer’s Association has just released the 2012 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures report. The annual report provides a statistical overview and analysis of Alzheimer’s prevalence, mortality, caregiving, and increasing costs as well as a special report on those living alone with Alzheimer’s.
Quick facts from the report:
- 5.4 million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s Disease.
- One in eight older Americans has Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States and the only cause of death among the top 10 in the United States that cannot be prevented, cured or even slowed.
- More than 15 million Americans provide unpaid care valued at $210 billion for persons with Alzheimer’s and other dementias.
- Payments for care are estimated to be $200 billion in the United States in 2012.
The full report, as well as a video, graphs, and state specific information are now available at www.alz.org/facts .