LSUHSC-S: The Value of The Library
Share Your Story: LSU Shreveport Health Sciences Library
What’s the value of the LSU Health Shreveport (LSUHS) Health Sciences Library? It’s priceless! Our librarians always find new ways to serve the institution and the community. Through a NNLM funded award, our librarians designed a program to educate children about the importance of a healthy lifestyle, reaching about 1,500 children so far. The program consisted of:
- A website with health information, games, and activities for children selected by LSUHS librarians.
- Story hours at local libraries and an area science museum that have so far focused on nutrition, exercise, germ prevention, heart health, and sun safety. Librarians select and read the stories, and develop companion activities and support materials.
- Regular promotional displays (“Wellness Wednesday”) at local libraries to raise awareness about healthelinks.org and other sources of reliable online consumer health information.
The Clinical Medical Librarian (CML) at LSUHS rounds with Internal Medicine in the hospital five days a week. Every day, the CML:
- Reviews cases in the electronic medical record system for unusual microbiology, pathology, or radiology reports in an attempt to preempt faculty and resident information needs;
- Provides literature for use at the point of care and provides literature reviews for follow-up questions;
- Finds consumer health information for patients.
Her work at LSUHS was the topic of the study “The Effect of a Clinical Medical Librarian on Internal Medicine Care at LSUHSC-S.” The study tracked her efforts from June 2008 to November 2009, when her team saw 2200 patients, and she answered 334 questions, 58 of which directly changed the physician’s care of a patient (unpublished data), on 258 unique patients.
Whether it is treatment changing information provided by the CML or teaching children about healthy food and exercise, the LSUHS librarians provide a variety of valuable services to the institution and community.
Submitted by John Cyrus