This award is offered by the Consumer and Patient Health Information Section (CAPHIS) of the Medical Library Association (MLA) to recognize individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the field of consumer health librarianship. The recipient of the award will be presented a plaque and $500.00 at the CAPHIS membership meeting during the MLA annual meeting in Honolulu.
Nomination Requirements and Eligibility:
- Members of the CAPHIS Executive Board are not eligible for the award.
- Recipient is not required to be a member of MLA or CAPHIS or to attend the awards ceremony.
- Nominations must specify how the nominee exemplifies outstanding contributions to consumer health librarianship through anecdotes and/or evidence. Self-nominations are also encouraged.
Examples of model customer service activities can include, but are not limited to:
- Conducted outreach programs
- Provided instruction on information access to consumers
- Made presentations of posters and/or papers at professional meetings
- Wrote consumer health publications in the professional literature
- Enhanced the work of CAPHIS for the profession
- Provided leadership to CAPHIS
Nominations should be submitted in MS Word and sent via e-mail to the co-chair of the CAPHIS Awards Committee:
University of Maryland, Baltimore – Health Sciences and Human Services Library
601 West Lombard Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Nominations must be received by April 1, 2009. Please note: Only the award recipient will be notified by April 15, 2009. The recipient is responsible for their own expenses if they choose to attend.