New NLM Resource for Genetic Information
The National Library of Medicine’s National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) has collaborated with the Genetic Alliance to create a portal to the National Library of Medicine’s vast array of genetic information. This resource helps health professionals and consumers find information from basic overviews of genetic diseases to complex scientific information.
The Genetic Alliance/NCBI Resource will allow one to search:
- Disease descriptions from NCBI’s Genes & Disease online book
- Disease and genetic information from Genetics Home Reference (http://www.ghr.nlm.nih.gov/)
- NLM Medline Plus web pages, which provide extensive links to information on diagnosis and treatment of diseases, physicians in the field, relevant health organizations, and more (http://www.medlineplus.gov/)
- A guide to genetic testing, and directories of geneticists and gene testing laboratories, from GeneTests (http://www.genetests.org/), a University of Washington service funded by NIH
- Clinical trials that may be available to those with genetic diseases, via http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/
- Medical dictionaries and encyclopedias
- Primers and tutorials on DNA, genetics, genome mapping, and other scientific subjects
- The latest research published in scientific journals, via PubMed (http://www.pubmed.gov/) and PubMed Central (http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/)
- Technical information about the genes, DNA sequences, chromosomes and protein structures associated with genetic diseases
The Genetic Alliance/NCBI Resource is accessed through the “Disease InfoSearch” function on Genetic Alliance’s website, http://www.geneticalliance.org/. After selecting a genetic disorder from an alphabetic list, users see links for various information sources, including “Research and Genetic Information: National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, NIH.” Clicking on the link brings users to a customized page where an automatic search for their disorder has already been conducted within the NLM resources.
For more information about the Genetics Alliance/NCBI resource: Genetics Alliance News Release.