Big Changes to MedlinePlus!
NLM has introduced a number of new features to the MedlinePlus Health Topic pages. Highlights include:
- Each page now displays a photograph or illustration.
- A brief summary of each disease or condition also displays at the top of the page. Composed by experienced medical writers and reviewed by NLM staff, the summaries are based largely on NIH and other government information. They are written at an easy-to-read level and include links to related topics. As of March 28th, summaries appear on about half of English pages. All English and Spanish Health Topic pages will include a summary in the near future.
- Synonyms appear right under the health topic name.
- A new category, labeled Start Here, links users to overviews and important information for first-time visitors.
- A centrally-located Table of Contents divides the MedlinePlus categories into six boxes to show users everything on the page at a glance.
Take the guided tour at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/faq/healthtopicredesign.html.