E-Science Day, a day-long program organized by the University of California Davis and funded by the National Network of Libraries of Medicine Pacific Southwest Region, was held on Tuesday, December 6, 2011, at the Medical Education Building of the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, California. The event was a blended format- available both in-person and via web conference- that featured a keynote and panel presentation; lightning rounds, and afternoon break-out sessions. The aim of the event planners was to educate regional librarians in what is e-science, why librarians should care about it, and how they can begin supporting it at their own libraries and institutions.
Video recordings of the event are available at http://escholarship.org/uc/item/5cb251mz. You will need to click on the "Supporting Material" tab on the left side of the screen to view or download the recordings.
|9-9:45 AM||Registration & Continental Breakfast||Second Floor Hallway||In-person|
|9:45-10 AM||E-Science Day Welcome||Room 2222||Blended|
|10-11 AM||Keynote Presentation||Room 2222||Blended||
|11AM-12:15 PM||Panel Presentation||Room 2222||Blended||
|12:15-1 PM||Lunch||North Foyer, Second Floor Hallway||In-person|
|1:45-2:45 PM||Break-Out Sessions||Rooms 1204, 2205, 2206, 2222, 3202, and 3204||Blended|
|2:45-3 PM||Break/Refreshments||Second Floor Hallway||In-person|
- Mike Conlon, PhD - Associate Director & Chief Information Officer; Clinical and Translational Science Institute, University of Florida; Principal Investigator, VIVO: Enabling National Networking of Scientists.
- Keynote Presentation: Some Thoughts on Data and E-Science
- Mike Hogarth, MD - Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, and Department of Internal Medicine, University of California Davis; Director; Pathology Informatics Core
- Presentation: The Age of Big Data: The "dataweb" and eScience
- Kristi Holmes, PhD - Bioinformaticist, Becker Medical Library, Washington University; National Outreach Coordinator, VIVO: Enabling National Networking of Scientists
- Presentation: Outreach: A critical intersection of libraries and technology
- Elaine Martin, DA - Director, Lamar Soutter Library, University of Massachusetts Medical School and National Network of Libraries of Medicine New England Region
- Presentation: Preparing Librarians for New Roles in E-Science
- Elizabeth Schneider, MLIS, AHIP - Director, Treadwell Library, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Presentation: eScience in a Hospital Library?
Meeting Site Information
The event was held at:
University of California Davis Medical Center
4610 X Street
Sacramento, California 95817
Planning Group Information
- Raquel Abad, Health Science Librarian, Blaisdell Medical Library, University of California Davis
- Rebecca Davis, Acting Head, Blaisdell Medical Library, University of California Davis
- Kay Deeney, Educational Services Coordinator, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Southwest Region
- Deanna Johnson, Acting Head, Carlson Health Sciences Library, University of California Davis
- Julie Kwan, Associate Director, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Southwest Region
- Gail Yokote, Associate University Librarian, University of California Davis
Those who attended this event (either in-person or through web conference) received 5 Continuing Education (CE) credits from the Medical Library Association.
This event was made possible through funding in whole or in part with Federal funds from the Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Library of Medicine, under Contract No. HHS-N-276-2011-00009-C with the UCLA Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library.