In the 2012 Learning Needs Assessment, we learned that there is strong interest in distance learning opportunities, with over 96% of respondents saying that they are definitely or possibly interested in this mode of training. The following section points to various distance learning opportunities, both past and present.
PSR Training Opportunities
PSR regularly offers online classes using Moodle and Adobe Connect. Recent courses include the NLM Resources Update and the Finding Health and Wellness at the Library class about consumer health services. Watch for announcements on our Facebook page, Twitter, our Latitudes & NewsBits blogs and the PSR-News list for dates and times for the sessions.
Midday at the Oasis
PSR hosts this monthly webinar highlighting various topics of interest to health sciences librarians and others. Midday at the Oasis is held the third Wednesday of every month from 1-2PM (Pacific Time). For additional information, go to http://nnlm.gov/psr/services/webmeeting/index.html.
This webinar series will provide a fast-track look at new and updated resources from NLM, including activities and scenario-based exercises for participants. Sessions will be conducted on a semi-regular basis, between 4-6 times per year. For the NLM Express schedule, go to the registration page.
- I Have an App for That - Mobile Apps from NLM! with Kay Deeney & John Bramble (August 6, 2015)
- PubMed and CHSI Update - What's New in 2015! with Kate Majewski & Kelli Ham (April 14, 2015)
- MedlinePlus Power Searching for Hidden Treasures with Kelli Ham (September 9, 2014)
- PubMed Health with Hilda Basian (April 14, 2014)
- PubMed Update with National Library of Medicine Training Center (December 12, 2013)
- Drug Information Resources at the National Library of Medicine with James Knoben (July 9, 2013)
- Environmental Health Resources for K-12 with Kelli Ham (April 25, 2013)
Infopeople Webcasts and Webinars
PSR has partnered with Infopeople to present several hour-long webcasts and webinars. The list below is representative of relevant topics for libraries and organizations that provide health information to the public. To view the recent archived recordings or to download handouts, please click on the links below. Older webinars are available by searching the Infopeople website.
Health e-Show Series
- MedlinePlus: Power Searching for Hidden Treasures (August 21, 2014)
- The Accessible Website: If You Build It, Everyone Can Come (June 6, 2013)
- Operation Health: Resources for Veterans and Their Families (June 13, 2012)
- Caregiver Resources (January 19, 2012)
The Outreach Evaluation Resource Center (OERC) provides the Outreach Evaluation Workshop Series consisting of four workshops. The goal of the Outreach Evaluation Series is to develop the ability of those who conduct health information outreach projects to gather and use evaluation data for program improvement and decision-making.
NLM Distance Learning Resources
In the section below you will find highlights from NLM's Distance Education Program Resources Web Page.
- PubMed Online Training - comprehensive listing of resources, including the PubMed Tutorial, Quick Tours, and Webcasts
- PubMed Tutorial - shows you how to search PubMed for journal literature
- DOCLINE Tutorial - provides a step-by-step orientation
- LinkOut for Libraries Training and Educational Resources - provides video tutorials, frequently asked questions, and other information about LinkOut
- NCBI Introduction to Molecular Biology Information Resources
- Search Clinic: Building a PubMed® Search - half-hour online search session on PubMed searching from April 2010
- Search Clinic: Chemicals and Drugs in PubMed - hour-long online clinic on how to find articles about a chemical or drug of interest
- Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS®) Basics - a Web-based learning program that will educate you about the basic principles of the UMLS.
Other Distance Learning Resources
This section highlights distance learning resources from other trusted organizations.