“Technology in Libraries: Providing Access, Linking Communities” — Registration and Presentation Submissions Now Open
The Medical Library Group of Southern California and Arizona (MLGSCA), with funding support from the NN/LM Pacific Southwest Region, is planning a one day symposium that will focus on the application of innovative technologies that build a sense of community, connecting users both within the library and the greater organization. “Technology in Libraries: Providing Access, Linking Communities” will be held at the Cerritos Public Library in Cerritos, CA on Friday March 6, 2009.
This conference will highlight:
- The use of wikis, blogs, and RSS feeds and other Web 2.0 Tools
- The role of libraries in using technology to connect communities
- Investigation of issues of accessibility to electronic resources and tools
- Details on the incorporation of low cost/high impact and easy-to-use technologies into the library experience
- Innovative uses of technology in delivering library instruction or doing outreach to users
Registration details are available at the Symposium’s Website. In addition to registering, you can find out about keynote speaker Michelle Kraft, author of The Krafty Librarian, the program, accommodations, even find out about performances you could enjoy at the Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts across the street from the Library!
CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS
Whether you are a seasoned presenter or a novice, you should consider this opportunity to share your findings with colleagues, hone your presentation skills, and gain institutional and peer recognition for your work through these types of submissions:
- Paper submissions that discuss an idea or project that is well underway or completed
- Poster submissions that present a small, completed project, or early to mid-stages of a larger project
- Lunch Table Presentations provide an opportunity for you present a project in its early stages and gain feedback from your peers
Submit two copies of your abstract (approximately 250-300 words) which accurately conveys the subject of the paper, its scope, conclusions, and relevance to medical libraries. The first copy should list all authors, institutional affiliations, and email and phone number of primary contact. The second copy will be used in a blind review process and should not include any information identifying authors or institutions. Note: contributed papers are oral presentations; a complete text of the paper is not required. Presenters should be prepared to speak for approximately 15 minutes.
Please place “CONTRIBUTED PAPER PROPOSAL” in the subject line of your message and email to: Danielle Linden, Danielle.email@example.com, Presenters Committee Chair.
Submit a copy of an abstract (approximately 250-300 words) describing the poster. Please list all presenters and institutional affiliations. Please place “POSTER PROPOSAL” in the subject line of your message and email to: Dominique Turnbow, firstname.lastname@example.org, Poster Committee Chair.
LUNCH TABLE PRESENTATIONS:
Submit a brief description of your topic (approximately 150-200 words). Please include the name of the presenter and institutional affiliation. Please place “LUNCH TIME PRESENTATION” in the subject line of your message and email to: Dominique Turnbow, email@example.com.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE for Papers, Posters and Lunch Table Presentations is February 6, 2009.
[Editor's Note: This article was adapted with minor modifications from messages received from Danielle Linden, Presenters Committee Chair, and Jeff Williams, Co-Chair of the Symposium.]