Continuing Education Course Materials for MLA Disaster Information Specialization Available from NLM!
Disaster health information courses and supporting materials are now available from the Disaster Information Management Research Center (DIMRC) at the National Library of Medicine. The courses are open to anyone at no cost and are approved for Medical Library Association (MLA) continuing education credit. Completion of a series of courses may be used toward the MLA Disaster Information Specialization certificate. The application fee is $55 for MLA members and $75 for non-members. To earn the Basic certificate, students complete the following required 15 hours of courses:
- Disaster Health Information Sources: The Basics
- Information Roles in Disaster Management
- U.S. Response to Disasters and Public Health Emergencies
- IS-700.a National Incident Management System (NIMS): An Introduction
- IS-100.b Introduction to Incident Command System, ICS-100
An additional 12 hours of courses can be used toward the Advanced level certificate:
- Ethical and Legal Aspects of Disaster Response
- Health and Disasters: Understanding the International Context
- A Seat at the Table: Working with Local Responders
- Packing Your Digital Go-Bag: Essential Disaster Health Information on Your Mobile Device
- Disaster Info Specialist Program Meetings/Conference Calls
- Additional activities and non-NLM courses that qualify toward Advanced level
Course materials may be used and adapted by anyone giving presentations or classes on this content. When using or adapting materials, please give credit to the original course authors and NLM. DIMRC would like to hear about the use of these course materials and what they can offer (improve) that would make it easier to teach this material. If you are interested in being an online or classroom instructor for one or more of these courses, please send your name, title, organization, city, and state/country to Katie Chan.
Many thanks to MLA for coordinating the initial development of courses and for hosting the course materials and registration on their web site (with funding from NLM)!