The National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Northwest Region (NN/LM PNR) is offering another RML Rendezvous Medical Library Association Continuing Education (MLA CE) course, Asking the Right Questions: Data Collection for Health Information Outreach . Susan Barnes, Assistant Director of the Outreach Evaluation Resource Center (OERC) and Maryanne Blake, Outreach/Evaluation Coordinator at NN/LM PNR, will teach the course.
In this workshop, participants will learn to apply good principles of data collection to assure that data - both qualitative and quantitative - will be useful in making project decisions. The emphasis will be on efficient methods that can keep data collection at a manageable level. Topics will include designing and administering questionnaires and developing guides for conducting interviews. Approved for 4 MLA contact hours.
Learning objectives include:
- Identify and correct common errors in questionnaire items
- Describe ways to maximize response rate
- Write and sequence interview questions to assure the interviewee's comfort and participation
- Use "story" techniques as a foundation for targeted, semi-structured interviews
- Select a "purposeful" sample for interview projects
- Describe the benefits of incorporating quantitative and qualitative methods in evaluation studies
|Topics on this page:|
The Data Collection course consists of three one-hour RML Rendezvous sessions and assignments to complete on your own time. Recordings will be posted next to the session dates below soon after their completion. The sessions will be webcast at 1:00 PM Pacific Time (12:00 PM Alaska Time and 2:00 PM Mountain Time) and held every Wednesday on the following dates:
- September 9 , 2009 - The first session (Session recording)
- September 16 , 2009 - The second session (Session recording)
- September 23, 2009 - The third session (Session recording)
and Evaluating Health Information Outreach Projects
These booklets are designed to support this, and other, evaluation workshops. They will be referred to during this course, and you can turn to them for more information. You do not need to print them out. If you would like copies send a message to email@example.com and they will be mailed to you. Material in this course is based on Booklet 3: Collecting and Analyzing Evaluation Data. (WARNING: this is a big pdf file--34,760Kb). We have used it to create this class but will not be referring to it during the class; this url is provided for your information only.
- Blueprint - the final report.- Handout One: Final Evaluation Report Outline
- Phases of data collection
- Quantitative methods - Handout Two: Quantitative Methods
- Questionnaires, part one - Handout Three: Writing Good Questions
- Assignment: Exercise one
Session 1. Homework assignment: Exercise One.
- Review of Day 1
- Questionnaires, part two - Handout Four: How to Distribute Surveys
- Qualitative methods
- Story techniques - Handout Five: Qualitative Interviewing "Story" Methods
- Purposeful Sampling - Handout Six: Purposeful Sampling
- Assignment -Exercise two
Session 2. Homework assignment: Exercise 2.
- Review and discussion of homework exercises
- Mixed-methods approach to evaluation
- The READ scale (from Bella Karr Gerlich and G. Lynn Berard)
- MLA course evaluation - Handout Seven
- Funding from NN/LM PNR - Handout Eight: Sample NN/LM PNR Outreach Award Application
- Final exam: What did you learn?
Please register for Data Collection via the registration link at http://tinyurl.com/RendezvousReg.
The class is limited to twenty (20) participants for MLA CE credit. Registration will automatically close when the limit has been reached, and information about how to request placement on a wait list will be provided at the registration link when this occurs. This class has been approved for 4 units of MLA CE credit. Upon receipt of the two assignments, the final exam, and the MLA CE evaluation form, your MLA CE certificate will be mailed to your registration address.
During the session times connect to the following URL and login as a Guest, using your full name: http://webmeeting.nih.gov/rendezvous
For more information on how to use Adobe Connect for the RML Rendezvous go to http://nnlm.gov/pnr/training/RMLrendezvous.html