Electronic Document Delivery for DOCLINE Libraries Awards: Call for Submissions, Fall 2006
According to NLM statistics reported at the Medical Library Association Annual Meeting in 2006, email delivery in DOCLINE has jumped from 4.5% to 44.51% in only 3 years (see presentation here). Three awards of up to $1,500 each are available from the National Network of Libraries of Medicine Pacific Northwest Region (NN/LM PNR) for DOCLINE libraries in AK, ID, MT, OR, and WA. This funding is to support implementation of Internet and/or Web EDD service or improvement of existing EDD services. Purchase of computers or printers is outside the scope of this award. This funding can be used for:
- scanning or document imaging equipment and/or
- software for Internet or Web-based transmission of documents
NOTE: Ariel is a common application used for document transmission, but it is not the only software available for EDD. Although this funding can be used to acquire the Ariel software, Ariel is not required. Other software approaches to EDD are also welcome, such as email delivery, Web delivery, and/or EDD features built in to interlibrary loan management packages.
Applications from hospital libraries are especially welcome.
Applications for this funding should include a statement from that institution's manager in charge of information technology (IT), confirming that selection of equipment and software, and resolution of networking and firewall issues, will be made with the IT department's support.
Requests for funding are due October 1st, 2006. Proposals should be submitted using the Electronic Document Delivery for DOCLINE Libraries Award Application Web form. In addition to the statement of IT support, applicants will need to describe their plans for implementing or improving EDD service, specify what equipment and/or software they intend to acquire and use for EDD, provide a brief budget, and indicate what EDD methods, if any, are currently in use.
If we receive more requests than we can fund, priority will be given to
- Libraries that are not yet using EDD
- Hospital libraries
- Smaller libraries
- Regional distribution
Information & ideas about equipment for EDD is available from:
- A list of previously funded EDD Awards in the PNR;
- "The Quick Guide to Electronic Delivery" in Latitudes, May/June 2002, volume 11, issue 3;
- "Electronic Document Delivery: Technology Update" in Latitudes, March/April 2003, volume 12, issue 2;
- "Update on Scanners for Electronic Document Delivery" in Latitudes, March/April 2004, volume 13, issue 2;
- the Ariel Web site.
- Information about software for EDD is available from the Electronic Document Delivery section of the NN/LM Web site.
Contact Andrea Ryce via email or by phone at 1-800-338-7657 (from within AK, ID, MT, OR, WA) if you have questions or would like to discuss your project ideas.