Technology Improvement Awards: Call for Submissions, Winter 2010
Network organizations in the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Northwest Region (NN/LM PNR) are eligible to receive up to $5,000 for the purchase, installation, and/or upgrading of hardware and software that enhance access to health information.
Up to 3 awards of up to $5,000 each will be awarded.
A Technology Improvement Award is intended to enhance the capacity of a library or organization to offer electronic health information services by supporting the purchase, installation, and/or upgrading of hardware and software.
Priority will be given to proposals that:
- Respond to a previously identified health information access need
- Have active support of the institution's information technology staff
- Include a clear strategy for evaluating project outcomes
Examples of potential Technology Improvement Projects
- Implementing or improving Web-based document delivery service
- Upgrading equipment in a computer lab or learning center to facilitate hands-on computer-based instruction (funds could also be used to pay for Internet access for one year)
- Using handheld mobile devices to support access to quality health information at the point of need
- Creating unique Web-based health information literacy tutorials or learning modules
- Installing adaptive hardware and software to better enable individuals with disabilities to access computer-based health information
Applicant Submission Instructions
Requests for funding will be accepted until February 26, 2010. Network member organizations in the PNR are eligible to apply. The completed Technology Improvement Award Application, along with letters of support, should be sent as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Word document format is preferred. Please use “Technology Improvement Award” in the subject line of the email. The PNR staff will acknowledge your application when received and notification of awards will be given within four weeks of the application deadline.
A proposed budget is required for funding requests, to include estimated costs for any proposed hardware purchases. If your project is funded, you will be asked to provide the following:
- For IT/computer hardware under $3,000 per item: Vendor name and published vendor pricing.
- For IT/computer hardware of $3,000 or more per item: Three (3) vendor quotes (preferably valid for 60 days). Vendor quotes are necessary to determine price reasonableness for purchases. If a single item is over $3,000 and is not competed, then a sole source justification letter is required to indicate why it is the most advantageous purchase.
The project leader will submit to the NN/LM PNR a brief (1-2 page) report describing how the project impacts health information access. The project leader is strongly encouraged to share the report with other network members by submitting it for posting to the NN/LM PNR blog, Dragonfly.
Period of Performance
Technology Improvement Award activities should be completed within 9 to 12 months of notice of award.
Total cost must not exceed $5,000.
Consultant fees, personnel, and library collection costs are not allowable.
In awarding these funds, the UW Regional Medical Library requests standard indirect costs not be taken, to allow the institution receiving the award to participate fully in the mission of the project.
For additional information, contact:
Alison Aldrich, Technology Outreach Coordinator, email@example.com
Telephone: (206) 221-3489, 1-800-338-7657 (within AK, ID, OR, MT, WA)