Professional Development Award
The purpose of the Professional Development Award is to expand professional knowledge and continuing education in order to provide improved health information access to healthcare providers and/or consumers.
Meetings or conferences focusing on the areas of emergency preparedness, public health, information technology, resource sharing, e-science, health information outreach and usability testing are examples of what types would be eligible. This funding is not available for the Medical Library Association Annual Meeting.
Network members in the NN/LM PNR (Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington) are eligible to apply. Network membership is free and open to institutions interested in providing health information. To apply for membership, submit an online membership application.
Awards will be up to $1500 each and will be available on an ongoing basis until funds are expended. Preferred method of payment is to applicant's host institution.
The following statement is required to be included in this solicitation to comply with regulations for annual appropriation of federal funds:
All awards issued under the NLM Contract with University of Washington are subject to the Government's availability of funds in compliance of Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 52.232-18, Availability of Funds. No legal liability on the part of the Government for any payment may arise until funds are made available to the Contracting Officer for this contract and until the Contractor receives notice of such availability, to be confirmed in writing by the Contracting Officer.
The completed application (download below) should be sent as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use "Professional Development Award" in the subject line of the email. Applications will be accepted continuously.
Award Evaluation Criteria
Applications will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Applicant meets the qualifications outlined in the Eligibility section
- Applicant demonstrates how the professional development activity is linked to a specific goal of the library/institution
- Likelihood that the selected professional development activity will achieve the desired outcome
Proposals must meet the following guidelines
- If a web site is developed under this award, the web site must comply with Section 508 requirements for accessibility to people with disabilities [details].
- The awardee must acknowledge support of NLM whenever publicizing the work accomplished as a result of this award [details].
- If a journal article is published as a result of this project, the final peer-reviewed manuscript must be submitted to the PubMed Central digital archive in accordance with the NIH Public Access Policy [details].
Funds can be used for registration fees and travel expenses such as air fare, hotel, and meals. A detailed budget should be included with the application form (template included with application form). Funds will be distributed upon receipt and approval of applications prior to the course/conference, not on a reimbursement basis.
Awardees will be asked to write a brief article summarizing their experience at the conference for which funding is received for publication in the Dragonfly, NN/LM PNR's blog.
Need additional information or help?
Patricia Devine, Network Outreach Coordinator, NN/LM PNR, email@example.com
Telephone: (206) 543-8275, or 1-800-338-7657 (within AK, ID, MT, OR, WA)