Free Distance Learning Opportunity: Geeks Bearing Gifts in Three Parts
The Pacific Northwest Regional Medical Library is now accepting registrants for the online version of “Geeks Bearing Gifts: Unwrapping New Technology Trends.” We are offering this course free of charge to NN/LM Network members and public health educators in our communities. The course will be taught in three segments: Web 2.0 Basics, Social Networking, and Managing Information Overload. Register for one, two, or all three segments depending on your schedule and interests.
UPDATE 9/16/09: This class is now full. Use the registration link above to be placed on a waiting list or notified the next time the class is offered.
Web 2.0 Basics – Blogs & Wikis
- Get a grip on what “Web 2.0” means and how it is changing the way we communicate. Then get some hands-on practice with blogs and wikis, two of the most well-established types of Web 2.0 tools.
- Work at your own pace on readings, assignments, and discussion boards: September 21 – October 2
- Live Webcast September 24 from 1-2 Pacific
- Social networking sites, especially Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter, are wildly popular right now. Find out which social networking sites are the best match for your target demographic, then dive in and start exploring some online communities.
- Work at your own pace on readings, assignments, and discussion boards: October 12 – 30
- Live Webcast October 22 from 1-2 Pacific
Managing Information Overload
- If you struggle with information overload (and who doesn’t these days?) this segment is for you. We will focus on Web 2.0 strategies that can help you manage the flow of information while keeping you updated on topics that are important to you. We will cover social bookmarking, RSS, and e-mail management.
- Work at your own pace on readings, assignments, and discussion boards: November 30 – December 18
- Live Webcast December 3 from 1-2 Pacific
If you complete all three segments, you will be eligible for 8 hours of Medical Library Association Continuing Education credit. Approval for partial credit is pending.
To register, go to: http://tinyurl.com/geeksfall09
Questions? Contact Alison Aldrich, email@example.com