Advocacy for Librarians and Libraries
|Topics on this page:|
Resources for Hospital Librarians on Communicating
Their Value. Workshop materials for the class,
Measuring Your Impact: Using Evaluation for Library
- Resources for Hospital Librarians from the NN/LM Southeastern/Atlantic Region. This LibGuide is a toolkit for hospital librarians.
Library Promotional Toolkit from the NN/LM New
England Region. The toolkit was designed by the
Hospital Library Subcommittee of the NN/LM NER's
Regional Advisory Committee (RAC).
and Justifying the Library. Links to books,
articles and full text web sites that focus on
marketing and justifying the library.
Library Services Calculator. A medical library
calculator from Betsy Kelly, Evaluation Coordinator,
NN/LM MidContinental Region. Calculate what your
library is worth to your institution.
- Library Cost Benefit and Return-on-Investment (ROI) Calculator. Another calculator from Betsy Kelly that helps you determine what your library contributes to the bottom line.
- Titles held in the NN/LM PNR Lending Library on
advocacy, marketing and valuing your library:
- Dudden, Rosalind Farnam. Using Benchmarking, Needs Assessment, Quality Improvement, Outcome Measurement, and Library Standards. New York, NY: Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc. 2007.
- Matthews, Joseph R. The Bottom Line: Determining and Communicating the Value of the Special Library. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited, 2002.
- Seiss, Judith. The Visible Librarian: Asserting
Your Value Through Marketing and Advocacy. Chicago,
IL: American Library Association, 2003.
Additional books are available through the NN/LM PNR Lending Library on evaluation, library management and other topics relevant to advocacy.
- Vital Pathways
for Hospital Librarians. A task force is charged to
develop an action plan for MLA to " influence hospital
decision-makers and key leaders in the health care
Libraries Section of the Medical Library Association
(MLA). This is the largest and oldest of MLA's many
special interest sections. One of its stated purposes
is "to promote the interests and act upon the concerns
of hospital libraries and librarians". The sections
quarterly newsletter, National Network, is an
excellent source of ideas and information from hospital
Standards for Hospital Libraries in J Med Libr
Assoc 96(2) April 2008
Librarian Survival Kit. Created to help you promote
your value as a health sciences librarian and the value
of the services you provide to your
- MLA Advocacy
Toolbox. A Practical Guide to Communicating Your
Value. This web page is for MLA members only.
Benchmarking Network. This MLA initiative provides
opportunities for hospital, academic, and specialty
health libraries to learn more about the benchmarking
process, compare data, establish best practices, and
identify and work with a benchmarking partner.
Participate in the next round. Use the data to
establish best practices and show your value.
Professional Resources. This web page is a
potpourri of materials and tools including hospital
library standards, JACHO standards, public relations
and marketing for your library, and other issues of
concern to medical librarians.
- Medical Library Association
- Special Libraries Association
- Pacific NW Library Association