Breakout Session 2. - Question and Ideas Generated :
Forum attendees came up with "I Can" statements; actions that hospital librarians can put into practice to demonstrate their value and the value of their library.
The statements were based on the morning's breakout session reporting and ideas from the afternoon's speakers, as well as additional thoughts generated from discussions at each table.
Some were actions that librarians can do within their
Some were actions that help hospital librarians advocate for their libraries at a state, regional or national level.
- Develop a library business plan to show to the new administrator.
- Develop a library business case.
- Develop and research cost models for library services.
- Develop news scans for pediatric tumor meeting (and others) .
- Write an annual report with the statistics I collect.
- Move the library to be under IT rather than Education.
- Meet with five (5) different people in the hospital.
- Develop a strategic plan and business plan in anticipation of the library's move in two years.
- Make an appointment with the CEO - who has a daughter in library school.
- Contact the community college to get funding for serving their nursing students.
- Provide a link to relevant articles.
- Generate revenue via consumer library products.
- Develop networks (informal) and join the consortium.
- Develop a template for branding/professionalizing search results.
- Collect statistics to show value.
- Do benchmarking and participate in the next benchmarking study done by MLA.