Advocacy for Librarians and Libraries
|Topics on this page:|
Resources for Hospital Librarians on Communicating
Their Value. Workshop materials for the class,
Measuring Your Impact: Using Evaluation for Library
- Resources for Hospital Librarians from the NN/LM Southeastern/Atlantic Region. This LibGuide is a toolkit for hospital librarians.
Library Promotional Toolkit from the NN/LM New
England Region. The toolkit was designed by the
Hospital Library Subcommittee of the NN/LM NER's
Regional Advisory Committee (RAC).
and Justifying the Library. Links to books,
articles and full text web sites that focus on
marketing and justifying the library.
Library Services Calculator. A medical library
calculator from Betsy Kelly, Evaluation Coordinator,
NN/LM MidContinental Region. Calculate what your
library is worth to your institution.
- Library Cost Benefit and Return-on-Investment (ROI) Calculator. Another calculator from Betsy Kelly that helps you determine what your library contributes to the bottom line.
- Titles held in the NN/LM PNR Lending Library on
advocacy, marketing and valuing your library:
- Dudden, Rosalind Farnam. Using Benchmarking, Needs Assessment, Quality Improvement, Outcome Measurement, and Library Standards. New York, NY: Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc. 2007.
- Matthews, Joseph R. The Bottom Line: Determining and Communicating the Value of the Special Library. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited, 2002.
- Seiss, Judith. The Visible Librarian: Asserting
Your Value Through Marketing and Advocacy. Chicago,
IL: American Library Association, 2003.
Additional books are available through the NN/LM PNR Lending Library on evaluation, library management and other topics relevant to advocacy.
Pathways for Hospital Librarians. A task force is
charged to develop an action plan for MLA to "
influence hospital decision-makers and key leaders in
the health care field."
Libraries Section of the Medical Library
Association. This is the largest and oldest of
MLA's many special interest sections. One of its stated
purposes is "to promote the interests and act upon the
concerns of hospital libraries and librarians". The
sections quarterly newsletter, National
Network, is an excellent source of ideas and
information from hospital library colleagues.
Standards for Hospital Libraries. in J Med Libr
Assoc 96(2) April 2008
Expert Searching Skills. The role of Role of Expert
Searching in Health Sciences Libraries: Defintions,
- Communicate your expertise: Tips and Tactics to showcase your value. (MLA Members Only). Build awareness of your role as a highly skilled knowledge manager, build respect for your professionalism, your skills, and most importantly, your critical contributions to patient care, research, education, and knowledge management.
- Medical Library Association
- Special Libraries Association
- Pacific NW Library Association