Advocacy for Librarians and Libraries
Resources from the NN/LM and NLM
Resources for Hospital Librarians on Communicating
Their Value Workshop materials for the class,
Your Impact: Using Evaluation for Library Advocacy
Library Promotional Toolkit from the NN/LM New
England Region. The toolkit was designed by the
Hospital Library Subcommittee of the NN/LM NER's
Regional Advisory Committee (RAC).
and Justifying the Library Links to books, articles
and full text web sites that focus on marketing and
justifying the library.
Library Services Calculator A medical library
calculator from Betsy Kelly, Evaluation Coordinator,
NN/LM MidContinental Region. Calculate what your
library is worth to your institution.
- Library Cost Benefit and Return-on-Investment (ROI) Calculator Another calculator from Ms. Kelly that helps you determine what your library contributes to the bottom line.
- Titles held in the NN/LM PNR Lending Library on
advocacy, marketing and valuing your library:
- Dudden, Rosalind Farnam. Using Benchmarking, Needs Assessment, Quality Improvement, Outcome Measurement, and Library Standards. New York, NY: Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc. 2007.
- Matthews, Joseph R. The Bottom Line: Determining and Communicating the Value of the Special Library. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited, 2002.
- Seiss, Judith. The Visible Librarian: Asserting
Your Value Through Marketing and Advocacy. Chicago,
IL: American Library Association, 2003.
Additional books are available through the NN/LM PNR Lending Library on evaluation, library management and other topics relevant to advocacy.
Resources from MLA and other library organizations
- Vital Pathways
for Hospital Librarians A task force is charged to
develop an action plan for MLA to " influence hospital
decision-makers and key leaders in the health care
Libraries Section of the Medical Library Association
(MLA) This is the largest and oldest of MLA's many
special interest sections. One of its stated purposes
is "to promote the interests and act upon the concerns
of hospital libraries and librarians". The sections
quarterly newsletter, National Network, is an
excellent source of ideas and information from hospital
Standards for Hospital Libraries in J Med Libr
Assoc 96(2) April 2008
Librarian Survival Kit Created to help you promote
your value as a health sciences librarian and the value
of the services you provide to your
- MLA Advocacy
Toolbox: A Practical Guide to Communicating Your
Value. This web page is for MLA members only.
Benchmarking Network This MLA initiative provides
opportunities for hospital, academic, and specialty
health libraries to learn more about the benchmarking
process, compare data, establish best practices, and
identify and work with a benchmarking partner.
Participate in the next round. Use the data to
establish best practices and show your
Professional Resources This web page is a potpourri
of materials and tools including hospital library
standards, JACHO standards, public relations and
marketing for your library, and other issues of concern
to medical librarians.
- Medical Library Association
- Special Libraries Association
- Pacific NW Library Association