New England Region Resource Libraries
The New England Region currently has an active complement of Resource Libraries that contribute to outreach and training-related programs. Resource Libraries are larger libraries with complex library operations and a diverse user base. The 16 Resource Libraries represent eleven academic health sciences libraries; nine serve academic centers and five are larger hospital libraries that serve multi-disciplinary health centers. Several of the hospital libraries have long-standing or recently developing affiliations with one of the academic health centers in the Region.
Resource Libraries service unaffiliated health professionals in their respective areas by offering document delivery to health care providers and public health agencies. Resource Libraries also have an established history of undertaking outreach projects as funded by NER. Outreach projects are a key component to decentralizing the outreach function of the National Network. The participation and investment of Resource Libraries in sponsored outreach has broadened the promotion of National Library of Medicine, reaching many of the designated special populations in both urban and rural areas of the Region.
Another important function of Resource Libraries is the leadership and expertise they provide to the region. Resource Library directors and staff attend annual RAC meetings and are actively involved in RAC groups that have conducted assessments or developed training programs for the region and abroad.
Resource Libraries include all AAMC accredited medical schools located within the state region. Two other Resource Libraries have long-established pharmaceutical programs and nursing programs. Five other resource libraries are libraries within tertiary care institutions having large libraries with multiple professional staffs. Four of the five larger hospital libraries have institutional affiliations with one of the medical schools within the region.
Links to each library:
- Baystate Medical Center - Springfield, MA
- Boston College - Boston, MA
- Boston University - Boston, MA
- Brown University - Providence, RI
- University of Connecticut - Farmington, CT
- Dartmouth College - Hanover, NH
- Hartford Hospital - Hartford, CT
- Harvard University - Boston, MA
- Maine Medical Center - Portland, ME
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences - Boston, MA - Worcester, MA
- Massachusetts General Hospital - Boston, MA
- Quinnipiac University - North Haven, CT
- Lifespan/Rhode Island Hospital - Providence, RI
- Tufts University - Boston, MA
- University of Massachusetts - Worcester, MA
- University of Vermont - Burlington, VT
- Yale University - New Haven, CT