Stephanie Friree, Outreach and Technology Coordinator
As the Technology Coordinator for the New England Region, one of my roles is to help the region’s members coordinate the integration of new technologies that improve and enhance operations and also to assist in the identification of new technologies and uses of technology that enhance the work of Member libraries. So, I have decided to offer a quarterly technology webinar series called Technology Today.
These webinars will be offered via Adobe Connect and will be recorded and posted on our website. We may invite guest speakers or I will lead the webinar.
A few ideas for topics that we will cover:
- Demonstrate a new piece of technology or tool and discuss how the tool may help your organization
- Discuss useful apps—both medical and non-medical—that may meet your needs
- Showcase technology a library has implemented to generate new ideas for your organization
- Learn how to evaluate new technology and where to seek expert advice to influence your purchasing decisions
- Discuss cybersecurity concerns and issues for your organization, as well as for home
- Demonstrate new tools on the market and how they can improve access to biomedical information
- Demonstrate how to publish a newsletter using a free tool, such as WordPress
- New developments and trends on the horizon
- Learn how to implement 508 compliance on your organization’s website
This class is for you. Please send me ideas that you may have for topics, or if there is something specific you’d like us to focus on. Please email: Stephanie.firstname.lastname@example.org
An announcement will be made 2- 4 weeks in advance of each webinar and posted on out training calendar, with the first one scheduled for September 4, 2014 at 11:00 am.
Dates and times are TBD based on the topic and potential guest schedules.
Check out the August issue of NIH News in Health, the monthly newsletter bringing you practical health news and tips based on the latest NIH research. This month includes news about recognizing life-threatening conditions like heart attack or stroke, surviving sepsis, and mind/body therapy for fibromyalgia.
Click here to download a PDF version for printing. You can order a limited number of print copies free of charge for display in offices, libraries of clinics. Just email or call (301) 402-7337 for more information.
Did you know about our printable brochures highlighting National Library of Medicine resources? Explore our Printable Brochures to discover over 45 educational brochures that you can use for presentations or to display in your library. Examples of printable materials include:
- PubMed Basics tri-fold
- PubMed MeSH tri-fold
- PubMed My NCBI tri-fol
- MedlinePlus tri-folds in English and Spanish
- NLM Mobile Resources flyer
- Healthy People 2020 Structured Evidence Queries handout
- Overview of NCBI Resources
- Resources for Teachers from the NLM handout
Also, NER can also provide your library with brochures on a variety of National Library of Medicine resources. You can order materials directly from our website.
Extra! Extra! Health IT COI Recruiting!
- Interested in professional development and collaboration?
- Want to keep up-to-date with trends in your profession?
- Enjoy cultivating skills through group projects?
- Looking for a way to connect with librarians with similar professional interests?
You’re in luck! The Health IT Community of Interest is looking for a few good [wo]men. Join this group for an intellectually stimulating safari through the veldt of Health Information Exchanges, the thickets of Meaningful Use and the ever-challenging question of how librarians can contribute.
We are working on a series of webinars to showcase these current issues. New ideas welcome. Give us your thoughts on other ways to promote discussion about this important topic. We’re fun. We’re friendly. And we want YOU!
Please contact Jenny Miglus at email@example.com or (860) 679-3200