Today, October 1, 2013, is the first day of open enrollment for the Health Insurance Marketplace. For 2014, the Open Enrollment Period is October 1, 2013 – March 31, 2014. Uninsured citizens not enrolled by the end of March 2014 have to pay a fee and pay for all of their care. Coverage starts as early as January 1, 2014. For 2015 and later years, the open enrollment period is October 15 to December 7 of the previous year.
In New England, some states participate in the federally facilitated marketplace, and others have state marketplaces. The Health Insurance Marketplace helps the public learn how to get insurance in each state. Maine and New Hampshire will use the healthcare.gov site to enroll, compare coverage and apply for plans. New England states with their own marketplaces include:
- Connecticut: Access Health CT
- Massachusetts: Health Connector
- Vermont: Vermont Health Connect
- Rhode Island: Health Source RI
Become a Champion for Coverage.
Libraries have the opportunity to become a Champion for Coverage. Many libraries have already volunteered to be a Champion for Coverage. There are many ways your organization can be a Champion for Coverage. These include:
2) Send an email to your patrons regarding the Marketplace.
4) Hang posters and/or give our factsheets and brochures about the Marketplace. (Libraries can order print materials at: http://productordering.cms.hhs.gov/login.aspx)
5) Host a conference call, webinar, or another education event about the Marketplace.
6) Include a story about the Marketplace in your organizational newsletter or other publication.
7) Record and send out a public service announcement about the Marketplace.
8) Have your staff/members learn about the Marketplace in educational sessions.
9) Connect with your partners/members/customers through official Marketplace social media channels to share their stories. (facebook.com/healthcare.gov; facebook.gov/CuidadoDeSalud.gov; @HealthCareGov; @CuidadoDeSalud)
10) Provide space for enrollment sessions or fairs (ideally, with computers so people can check out the Marketplace online).
To be publicly recognized as a Champion for Coverage, complete this online form: http://marketplace.cms.gov/help-us/champion-apply.html