Looking for creative ways to demonstrate the value and impact of your library’s services? The American Libraries Association’s Libraries Transform campaign provides librarians with creative ideas and a toolkit to increase public awareness of the value, impact, and services provided by librarians.
ALA encourages your library to get involved to:
- Ensure that there is one clear, energetic voice for our profession, showcasing the transformative nature of today’s libraries and elevating the critical role libraries play in the digital age.
- Provide a fresh opportunity to position your library as vital to the people it serves and the community at large.
- Strengthen relationships with members of the community and colleagues, build relationships with influentials in your library environment, and partner with local organizations.
- Tell your library’s story.
- Localize the campaign to fit your advocacy priorities, while growing the collective impact of a national campaign.
The campaign includes “because statements” that you can distribute to your social media networks or download for posters, bookmarks, and display at your library. Some examples include:
The ALA Libraries Transform Campaign features the top 10 ways to to engage with the campaign:
1) Tweet about your most innovative and impactful services using the #librariestransform hashtag.
2) Download and print “Because…” posters and them around your community. Think about posting them in unexpected places.
3) Download and print the postcards and send them to your stakeholders with messages about new, innovative programs and services at your library. Or, use them to reconnect with lapsed cardholders, inviting them to re-visit the library.
4) Include Libraries Transform messaging in your community newsletters, e-newsletter or regular email blasts to stakeholders.
5) Download the Libraries Transform web banners and embed them on your website.
6) Invite your community members to share their stories of how “libraries transform” on your social media platforms – Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, etc.
7) Host an event to build community awareness of a new creative service at your library (such as a makerspace, new collaborative work spaces or a new digital collection).
8) Use the Libraries Transform brand on flyers and brochures to promote special programs and services at your library.
9) Include Libraries Transform messaging in your press releases, print and radio PSAs, op-eds, and letters-to-the-editors to local media.
10) Conduct your own creative guerilla marketing stunt to delight and surprise your community. For inspiration, check out the Outside the Lines initiative to see how some libraries have creatively connected with their community. www.getoutsidethelines.org
An easy way to get involved is to create your own “Because” statements and share them on social media. If you have a “libraries transform” story that you would like the NN/LM NER to share on our blog or Facebook/Twitter accounts, please send your stories to me at email@example.com.
Source: Libraries Transform, http://www.ilovelibraries.org/librariestransform/