The Healthy Literacy COI (Community of Interest) announces our Clear: Conversations project awards.
- Monina R. Lahoz, PhD, The Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Linda McIntosh, EdM, RN, Patient Education Specialist
- Bradley Moore, MPH, The Boston Public Health Commission
- Alberta Richetelle, MLS and Judith Kronick, MLS, UCONN Healthnet
Awardees are provided the guide to delivering this interactive workshop including: instructions how to prepare and implement the workshop; a workshop checklist; a health professional checklist; a small group leader checklist; sample roleplay cases; follow up activities; and health literacy resources and readings.
What is the Clear: Conversations Project?
Clear: Conversations is Health Literacy Missouri’s interactive workshop that teaches patients to take control of their health visits. NN/LM NER is providing support to Network members interested in offering the Clear: Conversations.workshop. Workshop participants observe a volunteer patient roleplay health scenarios with a health care provider.
The workshop leader:
- Leads discussion on health literacy.
- Shares their own health literacy experiences and encourages others to share.
- Relates stories to health literacy issues.
- Explains the four clear communication techniques.
- Leads a role-play session with a health professional and a volunteer patient.
Can my library still participate?
Of course! Please join us for our planning teleconference, to be announced in our training calendar, at the end of July or in early August. The planning teleconference will present an overview of the workshop and give participants an opportunity to share approaches. Though we cannot provide additional materials from Health Literacy Missouri, you are welcome to come and learn more about the project. You can purchase your own materials directly from Health Literacy Missouri. We encourage participants to offer the program in the next six months. Meet with us again at a wrap-up teleconference in January to share experiences.