Top 10 tips to go green at your library
Today is Earth Day. In honor of Earth Day, here are some tips to go green at your library.
1. Form a green library committee
2. Link going green to saving energy costs to earn administrative support
3. Recycle books (Better World Books)
4. Turn down the heat 1 or 2 degrees
5. Use energy efficient lighting and automatic timers and/or collect batteries and CFL bulbs for recycling
6. Encourage telecommuting if possible
7. Encourage people to turn off lights when a room is not in use
8. Encourage people to bring mugs rather than disposable cups
9. Clean green
10. Start a library community garden or have more houseplants
Some resources you can explore for more information about the environment and your library are:
Antonelli, Monika. The Green Library Movement: An Overview and Beyond. Electronic Green Journal. 1(27). 2008
Celebrate Earth Day by thinking of at least one step you can take to make your library more earth friendly, and put that step into action!