The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services invites public comments on the draft set of objectives for Healthy People 2020. For three decades, Healthy People has provided a set of national 10-year health promotion and disease prevention objectives aimed at improving the health of all Americans. It is grounded in the notion that establishing objectives and providing benchmarks to track and monitor progress over time can motivate, guide, and focus action.
New proposed health topic areas for Healthy People 2020 include:
• Adolescent Health
• Blood Disorders and Blood Safety
• Early and Middle Childhood
• Global Health
• Healthcare-Associated Infections
• Quality of Life and Well-Being
• Social Determinants of Health
Of particular interest to health science librarians and information professionals are objectives for Health Communication and Health IT. This topic area includes objectives related to health literacy, quality health websites, health information access, electronic health records, personalized health information resources, and electronic health information exchange by providers and health agencies.
Visit the Proposed Healthy People 2020 Objectives – List for Public Comment to:
• View proposed draft objectives for Healthy People 2020
• Comment on the proposed objectives
• Comment on the topic areas
• Suggest additional objectives
• Suggest topic areas you feel are missing from the draft set
Public comments will be accepted through December 31, 2009.