National Training Center – PubMed for Librarians Classes – May 2014 series open for registration
The PubMed for Librarians class is divided into five segments (90 minutes each). Each segment is a synchronous online session that includes hands-on exercises and is worth 1.5 hours of MLA CE credit. Participants can choose any or all of the 5 segments that interest them.
The segments are as follows:
- May 1, 2014, 3 pm – 4:30 pm ET – Introduction to PubMed: Attend this class to learn about the difference between PubMed and MEDLINE, how to run a PubMed search, assess your search retrieval, analyze search details, customize with My NCBI, discover and employ three ways to search for a known citation, and use the Clinical Queries search tool.
- May 5, 2014, 3 pm – 4:30 pm ET - MeSH (Medical Subject Headings): Attend this class to learn about the NLM Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) database. We discuss the 4 different types of MeSH terms and how searchers can benefit from using MesH to build a search. We also investigate the structure of the MeSH database and look at the components of a MeSH record.
- May 7, 2014, 3 pm – 4:30 pm ET - Automatic Term Mapping (ATM): Attend this class to learn about Automatic Term Mapping (ATM), the process that maps keywords from your PubMed search to the controlled vocabulary of the MeSH database. Learn why searching with keywords in PubMed can be an effective approach to searching. We also look at the explosion feature, what is and is not included in Search Details, and how PubMed processes phrases.
- May 12, 2014, 3 pm – 4:30 pm ET - Building and Refining Your Search: The class focuses on using some of the tools and features built into PubMed that are designed to help you search more effectively. We explore the Filters Sidebar and topic-specific subsets. We also use History, tools in the NLM Catalog, and the Index to build searches and explore topics.
- May 14, 2014, 3 pm – 4:30 pm ET - Customization – My NCBI: Attend this class to learn about the advantages of creating a My NCBI account, managing and manipulating your My NCBI page content, identifying and differentiating available filters on PubMed’s filter sidebar, selecting and setting up to 15 filters, and creating a custom filter.
Can’t make the May dates? Classes are also available in August and December 2014. For more information and to register, visit http://nnlm.gov/ntcc/classes/schedule.html. Questions? Contact Sharon Dennis, Assistant Director, National Library of Medicine Training Center, at Sharon.email@example.com or (800) 338-7657(800) 338-7657, press 2. (mm)