Lydia Collins, Consumer Health Coordinator
The weather has turned colder and the holiday season is upon us. As everyone switches to their winter wardrobes and begins to prepare for those gatherings with friends and family, it’s important to remember to take care of yourself. MedlinePlus from the National Library of Medicine (NLM) provides information on numerous health and wellness topics that can be helpful in this busy time of year. Everyone needs a gentle reminder to take some time out for yourself so that you can be at your best for those you care for.
For many of our public library staff, they’ve been diligently working with their communities and spent months preparing for the roll out of the Affordable Care Act. K-12 professionals and academic library staff are in the rush of assisting students with assignments and research projects. Hospital library are responding to health inquiries from health professionals and/or consumers. Community and faith-based leaders are working on a variety of fronts providing homework help, workshops and more.
No matter what your role is at your organization it’s important to remember first of all, that your work is valuable and secondly, that those who depend on you want the best you. So, take some time to review some of these health topics in MedlinePlus to get some tips on how to care of you. Remember to share these with others!!
- Occupational Health (MedlinePlus): http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/occupationalhealth.html
- Ergonomics (MedlinePlus): http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ergonomics.html
- Stress (MedlinePlus): http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/stress.html
- Managing Stress Interactive Tutorial (MedlinePlus): http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/managingstress/htm/
- Winter Weather Emergencies (MedlinePlus): http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/winterweatheremergencies.html
- Food Safety (MedlinePlus): http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/foodsafety.html
- Nutrition (MedlinePlus): http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/nutrition.html
- The Holidays Are Coming! Time to Start Planning for Healthy Holiday Meals (MedlinePlus Magazine): http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/magazine/issues/fall09/articles/fall09pg20-21a.html
For a comprehensive list of a variety of resources available in MedlinePlus, visit the Wellness and Lifestyle health topic page: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/wellnessandlifestyle.html
From all of us here at MAR, wishing you wonderful holiday season and a healthy upcoming 2014!