Assistant Librarian, Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children Medical Library, Wilmington, DE
Full Time, Days
Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington
1600 Rockland Road, Wilmington, DE 19803
Job Description & Requirements:
Nemours is seeking an Assistant Librarian to join our team in Wilmington, DE.
As one of the nation’s leading pediatric health care systems, Nemours is committed to providing all children with their best chance to grow up healthy. We offer integrated, family-centered care to more than 280,000 children each year in our pediatric hospitals, specialty clinics and primary care practices in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Nemours strives to ensure a healthier tomorrow for all children – even those who may never enter our doors – through our world-changing research, education and advocacy efforts. At Nemours, our Associates help us deliver on the promise we make to every family we have the privilege of serving: to treat their child as if they were our own.
As the birthplace of the Nemours health care system, the Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Delaware, honors our legacy of delivering exceptional care to the children of the Delaware Valley and beyond. Ranked among the nation’s best pediatric hospitals by U.S. News & World Report and honored with the ANCC’s Magnet® Designation for excellence in nursing practice, we offer intensive and acute inpatient and outpatient services covering more than 30 pediatric specialties. In October, we will complete a multi-phase hospital expansion that will include new inpatient rooms, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and Emergency Department. Additionally, Nemours duPont Pediatrics allows us to reach more children across the region through community-based physician services and collaborative partnerships with health and hospital systems.
The Assistant Medical Librarian will assist the Delaware Medical Librarian in the organization and direction of the Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children Medical Library. Utilizing knowledge of library science principles and practices, this role works as part of a team to integrate library services with education initiatives including, but not limited to, evidence-based medicine tools, patient care, continuing medical education, nursing, research, resident and fellow education, and clinical rounds. Integration of these tools, especially across multiple technology platforms, is an ongoing clinical necessity, and the library is regularly called upon to enhance patron’s skills; therefore, the Assistant Medical Librarian must also be forward-thinking and embrace technology, as well as possess excellent presentation, communication and interpersonal skills.
The Assistant Medical Librarian will also provide reference, instructional and interlibrary loan assistance to Nemours Associates and affiliated users. Along with customer service and patron education, this role provides planning and administrative support for the department needs.
Provides Instructional and Customer Service Support
- Provides instruction and training in the use of information resources and library services.
- Teaches courses on effective use of Internet and database resources.
- Works with InfoLink customers to train and assist them with EMR-integrated, evidence-based medicine tool.
- Assists users with adaptation of a spectrum of technological tools used to assist in clinical decision making.
Manages Library Resources and Access
- Provides timely interlibrary loan (ILL) service by routinely checking DOCLINE (the National Library of Medicine’s [NLM] automated request routing and referral system), as well as the internal requesting system throughout the day, including an awareness of copyright compliance and ILL practices in both lending and borrowing materials.
- Assists users in creating and utilizing Loansome Doc accounts to increase usability of PubMed and efficiency of loaning process.
- Maintains the library’s Electronic Fund Transfer System (EFTS) ILL billing account and reimburses other libraries for ILL services in a timely manner.
Provides Medical Library Information Services
- Knowledge of the medical literature and its organization.
- Ability to perform reference interviews and computerized literature searching, utilizing complex database systems.
- Attends patient-centered clinical teaching rounds on a regular basis.
- Must have the ability to work well with others.
- Regular attendance is required.
- Good communications skills are required.
- Collects ILL, circulation and in-house use of library materials data on a monthly basis, including number and nature of patron enquiries; records and reports on library usage statistics.
- Able to assist patrons in creating bibliographies; knowledge of nationally recognized citation styles, e.g., NLM and APA.
- Responsible for updating changes in collection in DOCLINE and electronic journal holdings database and for maintaining consistency in how materials are shown to patrons in the OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog).
- Orders office supplies in adherence to budgetary concerns and considerations.
- Able to think independently and create avenues to increase library awareness amongst hospital staff; experience with cross-marketing and customer service to aid in assisting with the promotion and marketing of library instruction and services.
- Re-shelves library materials.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills; makes communication with patrons a priority.
- Works independently and completes tasks thoughtfully and in a timely manner with minimal supervision.
- Manages Nemours’ and Library resources effectively.
- Responds and adapts to change.
- Thinks proactively and appropriately defers and refers users to the Medical Librarian when difiiculties arise.
- Proven problem-solving and decision-making skills are essential.
- Ability to train or teach clients in the use of select information databases and search tools, including the ability to recognize patrons’ difficulties with search techniques and assisting them with patience and understanding.
Education and Training
- Advanced degree; Master’s degree in Library/Library Information Sciences (MLS or MLIS) preferred.
- Research library experience required.
- Teaching experience preferred.
- Electronic evidence-based medicine resources (InfoLink portal, EMR).
Our dedication to professionals who are dedicated to children frequently earns Nemours a spot on the list of top workplaces in the communities we serve. Our Associates enjoy comprehensive benefits, including our unique “Bridge to a Healthy Future” pediatric health plan, an integrated wellness program, opportunities for professional growth, and much more.