Reporting to the Vice President and Associate Dean for Academic Informatics and Technology, the Director of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS) Libraries provides dynamic leadership, vision, strategic planning and operational management of the Levy Library and the member hospital libraries of the Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS). The Levy Library and member hospital libraries support the educational, research and clinical care missions of the School and the seven MSHS hospitals. The Director of ISMMS Libraries participates in the senior leadership team of the Academic Informatics and Technology unit, a blended organization consisting of the libraries, instructional technology, systems support, and archives and records management. The role manages 5 direct reports with an overall staff of 23 FTEs.
Responsibilities for Current and Future Key Initiatives:
Work collaboratively with staff across Academic Informatics and Technology to create a Research and Learning Commons that will offer individual and collaborative study, flex classrooms, integrated circulation, research and IT support service desk, bioinformatics and statistics support, and multimedia production resources.
Strengthen partnership with faculty to support big data research through expanding the library’s course offerings on bioinformatics and genomic tools, as well as licensing next generation sequencing software.
Develop the service and resource integration between the Levy Library and the hospital system libraries and develop new models to provide support to faculty and housestaff located throughout the system.
Complete the migration to Worldshare Management Services, the library’s new discovery platform.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides leadership, strategic planning, and vision for the ISMMS Libraries
2. Leads library operations and instructional programs, ensuring high availability of world class digital academic resources and services for the Mount Sinai community.
3. Oversees public and technical services and digital presence to ensure that services and resources meet the research, education and clinical care needs of the school, member hospitals, and partners.
4. Integrates best of class technologies into the delivery of innovative services to facilitate seamless and efficient use of library systems.
5. Manages library budgets and accounts.
6. Promotes the library through outreach initiatives to ensure a high visibility of services and resources.
7. Maintains and develops key performance metrics to evaluate the effectiveness of library operations and services, and to assess user satisfaction with library services.
8. Creates a library environment that facilitates study, collaboration, and scholarship and maximizes the efficient utilization of library space.
9. Ensures that library services and programs meet or exceed LCME and Middle States Commission on Higher Education accreditation/licensing standards.
10. Represents the library on school and hospital committees, as well as in external local and national professional organizations.
11. Continually reviews systems for efficiency and leads initiatives that will improve operation, availability, cost, and performance across the lifecycle.
12. Creates, communicates, and manages project plans and other required project documentation and provides updates as necessary.
Minimum Education and Experience:
1. Master’s of Library Science from an ALA accredited program
2. Ten years of experience in successful library administration
3. Demonstrated experience with strategic planning, facilities management, accreditation and outcomes assessment
4. Evidence of extensive leadership in developing and implementing innovative library services and programs
5. Evidence of effective collaborative skills and ability to engage staff to successfully deliver high quality services to various library constituencies
Preferred Education and Experience:
1. Background in scientific research, bioinformatics or clinical informatics
2. Second Master’s Degree or PhD in relevant discipline
Exemplary oral and written communication, organizational, and planning skills
Self-motivated and able to excel in a fast-paced academic environment
Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work independently and as a member of a team, and to work effectively within a matrix-based organization
Proven analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
Ability to work effectively with staff from all levels of the organization
Proven ability to provide leadership in a collaborative team environment
Excellent ability to multi-task, keeping priorities aligned
Excellent customer service and support skills
To Apply: Please email cover letter and curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Mount Sinai Health System
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai is a national and international leader in biomedical education, research and patient care. The Medical School has been consistently ranked as a top 20 medical school in the US and is ranked #17 among U.S. medical schools for National Institutes of Health funding. The Graduate School comprises degree-granting programs in basic science, clinical research, public health, and genetic counseling. The Mount Sinai Health System is an integrated health system committed to providing distinguished care, conducting transformative research, and advancing biomedical education. More information is available on the web (http://icahn.mssm.edu/).