Update: Easy-to-Use Online Tools to Create Effective Tutorials
Ready, Set, Go: Easy-to-Use Online Tools to Create Effective “How-To” Tutorials(TechTime session)
This presentation by Andrew Youngkin of NN/LM SE/A was a big hit! You can find the recording and slides available at: http://nnlm.gov/mar/training/techtime_recordings.html
Andrew has provided additional information based on our discussions below.
- Google Hangout Broadcast on Google+ / Mississippi State University Library eScience & Emerging Technologies Summit (LEETS) August 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwO2DT2-7W4
References about the effectiveness of online teaching:
- Measuring medical student preference: a comparison of classroom versus online instruction for teaching PubMed. By: Schimming, Laura M. Journal of the Medical Library Association. Jul2008, Vol. 96 Issue 3, p217-222.
- Evaluation of best practices in the design of online evidence-based practice instructional modules. By: Foster, Margaret J.; Shurtz, Suzanne; Pepper, Catherine. Journal of the Medical Library Association. Jan2014, Vol. 102 Issue 1, p31-40. DOI: 10.3163/1536-5050.102.1.007.
- Graduate Student Library Research Skills: Is Online Instruction Effective? By: Shaffer, Barbara A.. Journal of Library & Information Services In Distance Learning, v5 n1-2 p35-55 2011. (EJ925369)
- Using an Interactive Online Tutorial to Expand Library Instruction. By: Stiwinter, Katherine. Internet Reference Services Quarterly. Jan-Mar2013, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p15-41. 27p. DOI: 10.1080/10875301.2013.777010.
- Using Online Tutorials to Reduce Uncertainty in Information Seeking Behavior. By: Brumfield, Elizabeth Jean. Journal of Library Administration. 2008, Vol. 48 Issue 3/4, p365-377.
- The Effectiveness of Online Video Tutorials as Supplemental Library Instruction. By: Wyant, Nicholas. Kansas Library Association College & University Libraries Section Proceedings, 2013, Vol. 3, p39-43, 6p. Publisher: College & University Libraries Section of KULS.
- Assessing Patron Learning from an Online Library Tutorial By: Blummer, Barbara. Community & Junior College Libraries, v14 n2 p121-138 2007. (EJ840542)
- Are Online Tutorials Effective? A Comparison of Online and Classroom Library Instruction Methods By: Silver, Susan L.; Nickel, Lisa T., Research Strategies, v20 n4 p389-396 2005. (EJ763685)
- On Campus or out of Town: How Publishing Online Tutorials Can Help Your Patrons By: Blake, Lindsay. Computers in Libraries, v29 n4 p11-13, 31 Apr 2009. (EJ835990)
- Now’s the Time: Online Library Orientations By: Farrell, Sandy L.; Driver, Carol; Weathers, Anita. Community & Junior College Libraries, v17 n1 p7-14 2011. (EJ923189)