Skip all navigation and go to page content
NN/LM Home About MAR | Contact MAR | Feedback |Site Map | Help | Bookmark and Share

We Serve, Too: Overview of Military and Veteran’s Families

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 / 1:00 p.m. Eastern

Currently, more than 2.2 million Servicemembers make up America’s all-volunteer force in the active duty Armed Forces, National Guard, and Reserve. Fifty five percent of the force is married and 40 percent have two children. Only 37 percent of these families live on military installations; while the remaining 63 percent live in over 4,000 communities nationwide.

When Servicemembers are deployed, their family members serve too. They support and sustain the troops fighting to defend the Nation, they care for our wounded warriors, and they survive our fallen heroes. And while the Servicemember is away from his home, the family members continue contributing to their communities and their country.

In the next few years, many of these Servicemembers (and their families) will be coming home to your communities – with an average of 250 thousand Servicemembers transitioning out of service each year. These new veterans and their families will add to the estimate of 22.7 million veterans (and families) already living in the United States today.

This webinar is intended to give you the overall big picture of what it is like to be a military-connected family member or family member of a veteran. It will provide an overview of this population (and many of its subsets) and the key issues that military and veteran’s families face. It will provide you with the foundational knowledge for you to use as we move forward and dig deeper into the ways we, as national service organizations can support and engage the family members of folks who have served or are serving in our armed forces.

In this session, you will:

  • Enhance your knowledge of assets of and challenges for spouses, families and military-connected children
  • Increase your foundational understanding and cultural awareness of the military and veteran’s families

Registration:   August 28 Webinar Registration

These webinars are free, but require advance registration.

Note: each webinar has its own registration link.

Additional Webinars in this Series:

  • Wednesday, September 25: We Serve, Too: Supporting and Engaging Military-Connected Children and Youth

1:00 p.m. Eastern

Registration:  September 25 Webinar Registration

  • Wednesday, October 30: We Serve, Too: Supporting and Engaging Spouses, Parents and Significant Others

1:00 p.m. Eastern

Registration:  October 30 Webinar Registration

  • Wednesday, November 13: Celebrating National Military Family Month

1:00 p.m. Eastern

Registration:  November 13 Webinar Registration

Event Sponsor Information: Corporation for National and Community Service

Logistics: Education Northwest, contact: Debbie Ellis (Email: debbie.ellis@educationnorthwest.org)

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.