Job Ad: Head, MEDLARS Management Section, NLM, Bethesda, MD
The week of July 8th or soon after, there will be an announcement on USAJOBS.gov for the Head of MEDLARS Management Section (MMS) position within the Bibliographic Services Division at the National Library of Medicine. The position will be listed as a Supervisory Technical Information Specialist (GS-1412-14), with a salary range from $105,211 to $136,771 including locality pay per annum. The announcement will be posted for five days. This brief posting period is because of the federal government’s interest in accelerating the hiring process and should not be interpreted as an indication that someone has already been selected.
The selected candidate will serve as the Head of the MEDLARS Management Section, a section of 23 staff members within the Bibliographic Services Division at the National Library of Medicine. The MEDLARS Management Section provides a range of services supporting several of the Library’s leading bibliographic information and terminology resources.
The Head of the MEDLARS Management Section assists the Division Chief in managing MMS, and is responsible for:
- Overseeing budget and staffing requirements;
- Analyzing programs and assessing resource requirements;
- Coordinating activities related to data quality assurance, system testing, documentation, distance education, and customer service support;
- Formulating long- and short-range goals and plans for the section;
- Advising the Division Chief on recommended policy issues; and
- Representing NLM to various professional and government organizations.
MMS is responsible for contributing to the National Library of Medicine’s mission of providing biomedical research and health information worldwide through a variety of programs and activities, including:
- Providing data quality assurance, system testing, documentation, distance education, and customer service for MEDLINE/PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed);
- Providing data quality assurance, system testing, documentation, distance education, and customer service for NLM terminology resources such as the Unified Medical Language System (UMLS) (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/index.html), RxNorm (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/rxnorm/), and the Value Set Authority Center (VSAC) (https://vsac.nlm.nih.gov/);
- Publishing the NLM Technical Bulletin (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/techbull/tb.html) , NLM’s communication resource to the libraries and information professionals concerning electronic information resources; and
- Overseeing the data distribution and licensing programs for NLM bibliographic and terminology resources.
In addition to an interesting, challenging work environment, NLM has a great location on the campus of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. It is a short Metro ride from Washington D.C. and a short walk from Bethesda’s thriving restaurant and retail district.
Please contact David Gillikin, Chief, Bibliographic Services Division at 301.496.6217 or email@example.com with questions.